Phpbb v3

Latest news about the board

Moderator: Traffic warden

steph
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: Phpbb v3

Postby steph » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:41 pm

LS-Mike wrote:Yes, I like the default scheme too. It's a change, but it's really working now I'm getting used to it. And think of Steve, it'll be WAAAY easier for him just to update one theme, and then also for that to be the default.

I'm sure it is nicer, but pictures on the right is just wrong. Without seeing the avatar first (and therefore setting expectations for the following text), reading the forums takes longer, requires thinking and is quite hard.

BigSteev
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby BigSteev » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:15 am

Tried it changed back today and still hate it.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:20 am

Been speaking to Steve through PM. He's apparently planning on changing most of the things people have complained about anyway, it'll just take a bit of time to get the changes right.

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:26 am

The avatar area has been slimmed down a little bit and the blobs next to forums and posts changed to the more familiar form (for standard posts but not for sticky and announcement - not sure thats needs to be done yet) which makes it more obvious which things haven't been read (you may need to hit refresh in your browser a couple of times to see them). I'm currently trying to get the avatar panel on the left hand side but it's not straightforward. I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

The yellow hover over on forums and topics has also been removed - thanks Doug.

So apart from moving the avatar area to the left, what other major objections do people have to the prosilver style that stops them from wanting to use it?

Yoyo
New school
New school

Postby Yoyo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:26 am

The prosilver somehow doesn't agree with me. It does genuinely hurt my eyes and I start to get a dull headache after a few moments. Don't know why, whether its the colours, brightness or something else, but I actually cannot use the forum at that setting for no more than 2 or 3 minutes before I have to log out! Sorry Steve

SkateKitten
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby SkateKitten » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:59 am

Yoyo wrote:The prosilver somehow doesn't agree with me. It does genuinely hurt my eyes and I start to get a dull headache after a few moments. Don't know why, whether its the colours, brightness or something else, but I actually cannot use the forum at that setting for no more than 2 or 3 minutes before I have to log out! Sorry Steve

I can't see anything that would cause eye strain, except have you got the brightness turned up on your monitor? The colours are all whites and blues which are recommended colours for interface design. I do find the display a little bright but I've just jigged the display settings on my monitor.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:30 pm

I expect it's due to the amount & of colours & how vibrant they are. Whilst the subice template is blue, it is very pale, to the point where you can't tell the difference between the whites & the blues.
I also got cross-eyed from my automatically trying to check the user/avatar before reading each post. Not doing it so much now though.

gummidge
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby gummidge » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:43 pm

Simple tip, turn the colour knob right down on your monitor. It looks a lot better then.

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:15 pm

The forum may look a bit weird for a while. I'm about to attempt to move the avatar area to the left. Since I'll be doing this trouble the web interface the file updates will be out of sync so might cause problems. If you are not using the prosilver style then you won't be affected.

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:30 pm

OK the change has been made. You will need to logout and login again for the change to apply to you. The avatar panel could be a bit slimmer though so I'm going to have a go at that next.

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:36 pm

Slimmed down the profile panel so proportions should be better now.

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:44 pm

steph wrote:
LS-Mike wrote:Yes, I like the default scheme too. It's a change, but it's really working now I'm getting used to it. And think of Steve, it'll be WAAAY easier for him just to update one theme, and then also for that to be the default.

I'm sure it is nicer, but pictures on the right is just wrong. Without seeing the avatar first (and therefore setting expectations for the following text), reading the forums takes longer, requires thinking and is quite hard.

Why do you need the avatars when the posters name is in the top left corner, having all the avatars on the right and outta the way makes much nicer reading style although I guess it does mean that I don't notice peoples pretty avatars now.

SkateKitten
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby SkateKitten » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Steve wrote:OK the change has been made. You will need to logout and login again for the change to apply to you. The avatar panel could be a bit slimmer though so I'm going to have a go at that next.

Looking good! I have to say, I do prefer the avatar on the left, it just seems to make it easier to be aware of who wrote the post.

Mickey2Names
deleted account

Postby Mickey2Names » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:30 pm

Steve, any chance you could enable making mods foes? There's only one I would like to ignore, and it's a pain not being able to.

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 pm

There's no option for that in the standard code. I'll see if it can be modified easily.

Yoyo
New school
New school

Postby Yoyo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi Steve, just noticed that the forum no longer opens another when you click on a webpage link posted, but takes over the window that I was using (do I make sense?) Can I amend this through user control panel or is this a global feature? Thanks

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Mike, I've edited the code so moderators can now be added to the foes list.

Yoyo, it's not an option that can be configured anywhere that's obvious. It's something that can probably be done in the code and I'll look into it now.

Doug
Old school
Old school

Postby Doug » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:00 pm

Yoyo wrote:Hi Steve, just noticed that the forum no longer opens another when you click on a webpage link posted, but takes over the window that I was using (do I make sense?) Can I amend this through user control panel or is this a global feature? Thanks

That's a good thing, surely? It means I then have control of my windows again.
If you're using Firefox, Safari or Opera, just middle-click the link to open it in a new tab. I think even Internet Explorer will do this now.
Tabs (y)
Windows (n)

John
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby John » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:33 am

Where is the "posts since last visit" link?

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:13 am

John wrote:Where is the "posts since last visit" link?

That doesn't appear to exist any more. That wouldn't be particularly useful now anyway since there may be posts marked as unread from previous sessions. What we really need is an 'unread posts' button.

Return to “Announcements”