Question thats been bugging me for ages

London gossip and skating chat

Moderator: Traffic warden

Firefly
Beach bum
Beach bum

Question thats been bugging me for ages

Postby Firefly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:31 am

Why do the Fri / Sun / Wed stakes all start from slightly different locations that are less than a few hundrend meters from each other.

There is nothing wrong with three start locations, I was just wondering if there is some London Skating folklore to why no common start.

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re: Question thats been bugging me for ages

Postby ephillips » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 pm

The best starting place is on the Serp - but that can only be used by skates which always start during daylight hours.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:27 am

Firefly wrote:I was just wondering if there is some London Skating folklore to why no common start.

Not folklore though there may have been some more to it that this.

You may have noticed that all skates that start on Serp Road do not skate along Serpentine Road westwards and always exit along or across South Carriage Drive. This is to keep out good relationship with the park authorities.

The skates always used to start at the other end of Serpentine Road near the car park but we were asked by the parks people to not run the skate along Serp Road due to concerns about pedestrians getting scared as the skates were a lot bigger in those days with 300-500 being the sort of numbers we would get coming along. In order to accommodate this LondonSkate moved to the Bandstand which is near the eastern exit and Fridays moved to the Wellington Arch which is still technically part of the Royal Parks and, as Ed states, is more suited to the dark starts. Sundays used to be a skate round the park with occasional forays out onto the street so it started in the park and evolved into a street skate also due to the request of the parks people as it grew.

gummidge
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby gummidge » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 am

Years ago the WNS started at the top end of Serp Raod, but I think the park authorities complained about it skating in a convoy all the way down to HPC, so the start location was moved down.

Years ago the Sunday Stroll never left the park, so it made sense to start in the park, but being an off shoot of the FNS, I guess they wanted it as close the start point of the FNS as possible.

gummidge
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby gummidge » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am

Did the FNS not always start from Wellington Arch, then, Look No Skywater?

After all these years, I've only just realised what happens if you say your name with a northern accent.

GumbieBEN
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GumbieBEN » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 am

gummidge wrote:Did the FNS not always start from Wellington Arch, then, Look No Skywater?

After all these years, I've only just realised what happens if you say your name with a northern accent.

No I distinctively remember the time of the move to the arch.

Firefly
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Firefly » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Cheers for the info!

Kim
New school
New school

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 am

Friday used to at 19:30?? if I am not mistaken.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:30 am

I think LondonSkate used to be 7:30 too for a 7:45 start but we ended up leaving later and later and then just called it 8 but tried to keep it prompt. It's usually the Marshals turning up last minute (including the lead marshals on Friday) to the point that the defacto start willl be about 15 minutes after the published time.

evilzzz
New school
New school

Postby evilzzz » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:10 pm

ephillips wrote:The best starting place is on the Serp - but that can only be used by skates which always start during daylight hours.

you would also need to develop a Jesus-like ability to walk on water :lol:

Return to “London Scene”