London gossip and skating chat

Moderator: Traffic warden

cjstudios
Power slider
Power slider

Brighton Skaters?

Postby cjstudios » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:11 am

hi there,
are skaters from Brighton who'r planning on skating this weekend? I'll be down in Brighton over the weekend and it would be nice to meet the locals.

Is there a regular spot by the beach where I can lay down my cones and do some slalom?
Last edited by cjstudios on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:36 am

Ha funny, if you find any, tell me, I'll be moving there on the 28th.

asha
Power slider
Power slider

Postby asha » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:17 pm

I just moved to Brighton before Xmas and there is already some interest growing even though I'm not offering group lessons until spring (need some time to DIY my new flat).

There are 2 main places to skate:
In front of Hove lawns right by the seafront. The surface for most of it is a bit didgy but 2/3 of the way along (towards Hove and away from Brighton) there are some public tiolets and a cafe and there is a really smooth area, infront of the brightly coloured beach huts. This is where the local skaters hang out, the 'Beach' equivalent for Brighton.

The other place is right by the West Pier (the burnt out one), below the street level right on the beach. The eare used to be a kids paadling pool but it has been tarmacked over in the BEST smooth tarmac and it a perfect rink sized space. Not many skaters here for some odd reason as its really a great place to skate. Mainly being used by skateboarding slalomers but they are sharing quite nicely so far.....

Skating in Brighton will test your skills as this is the windiest place Ive ever skated (especailly last Sunday) and also one of the hilliest places when you leave the flat of the seafront. I'm getting really fit skating here!

Hope to see some London skaters here when it warms up a bit!

Barrie
New school
New school

Postby Barrie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:29 pm

asha wrote:Skating in Brighton will test your skills as this is the windiest place Ive ever skated (especailly last Sunday) and also one of the hilliest places when you leave the flat of the seafront. I'm getting really fit skating here!

I hope they've finally taken the scaffolding off the clock tower... I lived there for a year and never saw the damned thing!

Have you noticed the Lost-esque rainfall pattern yet?

asha wrote:Hope to see some London skaters here when it warms up a bit!

Can you get marshalls to block off Queens Rd/West St for when we exit the station... :mrgreen:

Isn't there a skate-park around somewhere??

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:37 pm

Well there better be scene cos I don't wanna skate alone !
I'm coming on Friday.

asha
Power slider
Power slider

Postby asha » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:57 pm

There is a tiny scene but noone does slalom so thats what Brighton needs. Bring your cones. I am hoping to set up a one off summer street skate and have mentioned it to Brendan who says lets do it. I am talkingto the council about possible dates so it doesnt clash with all the summer festivals and other stuff going on here. Bikini Beach skate anyone?

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:04 pm

Cedy wrote:I'm coming on Friday.

and staying for aproximatly 3/4years...

sonic
New school
New school

Postby sonic » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 pm

asha wrote:Bikini Beach skate anyone?

Ooh yes please! :)

Doron
New school
New school

Postby Doron » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:27 pm

Asha - I would love to do a street skate in Brighton. Sounds like it could be a real blast. In the middle of summer it is packed with day trippers and holiday makers and I think they would really appreciate it.

I just wonder if Bren will be able to get the music bike down.

Kim
New school
New school

Postby Kim » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:06 pm

I am originally from Brighton so down at the weekend now and again. If you guys get a scene going I will show my face.

Also Brighton skate is a great idea.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:05 am

Ooh yeah, I'd be up for that. It's just along the coast from me.

peter
New school
New school

Postby peter » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:56 am

Mick wrote:Ooh yeah, I'd be up for that. It's just along the coast from me.

Tom and I will be right with you Mick. And I am sure there will be plenty of others from Bognor interested.

Mickey2Names
deleted account

Postby Mickey2Names » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:24 am

What about a meetup after the London 2 Brighton on 17th June this year?

cushty
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby cushty » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:42 pm

asha wrote:There is a tiny scene but noone does slalom so thats what Brighton needs. Bring your cones. I am hoping to set up a one off summer street skate and have mentioned it to Brendan who says lets do it. I am talkingto the council about possible dates so it doesnt clash with all the summer festivals and other stuff going on here. Bikini Beach skate anyone?

Count me in, except for maybe the bikini bit; Roger I'm not.

Have you thought about getting involved in the Childrens Parade? It's got a great atmosphere and all of the center streets get shutdown to traffic so the environment, if there were a reasonable group of young skating kiddies, is very safe.

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:21 pm

asha wrote:There is a tiny scene but noone does slalom so thats what Brighton needs. Bring your cones. I am hoping to set up a one off summer street skate and have mentioned it to Brendan who says lets do it. I am talkingto the council about possible dates so it doesnt clash with all the summer festivals and other stuff going on here. Bikini Beach skate anyone?

yay!

oooh definitely organise this asha, loads of us would be up for coming down for it :lol:

Skinny dip anyone?

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:22 pm

LS-Mike wrote:What about a meetup after the London 2 Brighton on 17th June this year?

cos many skaters may still be in bulgaria......at a skater wedding post celebrations

Edited: SORRY wrong month LOL...I'm thinking July

Is that a saturday?

KitKat
Power slider
Power slider

Postby KitKat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:28 pm

I'd love to do a street skate in Brighton. Fab idea!

sonic
New school
New school

Postby sonic » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:30 pm

LS-Mike wrote:What about a meetup after the London 2 Brighton on 17th June this year?

Over a beer? I have feeling I'm not going to be up to more skating :? .

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:12 pm

peter wrote:And I am sure there will be plenty of others from Bognor interested.

Possibly. But, apart from a couple of people, I've never had much luck getting them to join in other skating events.

pzycoman
Power slider
Power slider

Postby pzycoman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 pm

I'm talking to someone from the council this week about it. I was thinking more end July/early august but the 17th June does seem appropriate too. After skating London to Brighton would skaters feel like doing more? Or might that date be more of a chill out skate/gathering and the july/august one be the BIG thing.....let me see what other events are happening those weekends as we also have to get Brighton when it isnt celebrating one thing or another.

Any ideas when the kids festival is? I am planning to get kids rolling down here (there are ALOT of them) so that might tie in well.

Brendan, can you get the music bike down? Anyone own a van? I will report when something to report. I'm so glad the interest is there. If I put up some possible dates ofter speaking to the council then can you guys cross reference with 'other' skating dates, races, competitions etc as I usually dont know about everything going on. Thanks.

Return to “London Scene”