What, where, when and why

Moderator: Traffic warden

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Roller Marathon at the BLITZ Festival, 26th August 2013

Postby Wild Phil » Tue May 28, 2013 7:57 am

Hi guys,

There is a roller-marathon happening on Monday the 26th August at the BLITZ festival.

This is a bank holiday weekend (sat,sun,mon). BLITZ is all 3 days and will include plenty of other skating events.

There will also be skateboarding, circus skills, scootering and lots of other stuff going on.

We are also raising money to help out a local london charity Rolladome, and also for our friends at Wheels & Wheelchairs.

As it's a not-for-profit event we are hoping to entrance fees down as low as possible just to cover our costs. And any profit that is raised goes straight back to the organising bodies behind each sport so they can run other events throughout the year, and not for lining someone's pockets.

http://www.blitzfestival.co.uk

We did discuss with Nick at skatemania the possibility of joining forces, but due to creative differences we decided to keep our own event.

Interesting his event is now being called the "Festival" of skating....wonder where he got that idea....hmm... ;)

BLITZ Festival is happening here...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=DA11+7NP&ll=51.433036,0.169601&spn=0.339892,1.056747&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=DA11+7NP,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=11
Last edited by Wild Phil on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Re: Roller Marathon at the BLITZ Festival, 26th August 2013

Postby Wild Phil » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:06 am

Registrations are now open.

There will be chip timing.

I'm on site this Sunday so will take a video of the track and some pictures.

The surface is beautiful.

www.blitzfestival.co.uk

ed!
New school
New school

Postby ed! » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey Phil! This sounds really good. Out of interest, how long is the circuit? I remember reading somewhere that this would be under marathon distance.

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi Ed!

We are going for full marathon distance.

I have the Cyclopark's own measurements somewhere but I want to be 100% sure we are totally accurate so I'm going there on Sunday with a trundle wheel to measure precisely around the inside leg of the track so we will know exactly the right distance. After that I can work out how many laps it would be.

Plus a prize for fastest lap during the marathon.

Signups are currently open online.

We have limited capacity of 450 on the track as we want to avoid overcrowding, so book early to avoid disappointment.

Video, Pics, and accurate track dimensions will follow Sunday eve once I get a chance to upload it all.

Facebook event specific to this will also follow.

The race is planned to Start at 11:30am.

Registration is currently set at £20, which registers you for the marathon, will include the chip timing option. And also as a "competitor" you will have full run of the rest of the festival and are free to take advantage of any of the other workshops available, be they skating, longboarding, BMX, circus skills. Plus there is all the usual stuff like retail stalls, picnic areas, hopefully the cyclopark will be laying on some BBQs too.
Last edited by Wild Phil on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Sorry for the overuse of the word "planned". I'm having a chat with our main organiser on sunday too an will confirm everything after that.

ed!
New school
New school

Postby ed! » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 am

Great! I have registered :-)

Since you're going to the trouble of measuring (that's dedication), you might want to drop Rick a PM to check whereabouts you should be trundling along. Something like 1m from the inside line is where you roll along, but he can clarify.

Excited!!!

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:17 am

Measurement line is the shortest line of the course so it can cross the track in straight lines and go round corners but must be 50cm from the edge of the track in bends that aren't straight lines to opposite handed bends. This only really matters if you are looking for official British records though. Course length should be 42,000m for an inline marathon, not 42,195m as it is for a running marathon. It may be over distance for records to count but they will me measured from the full length of the course and not rounded down. I doubt your taking it that seriously though so just make sure it is long enough to be considered marathon distance and you're fine.

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:41 am

Cool thanks for the info Rick.

If the proper distance is 42,000m then that's what we will go for.

I didn't make it out to measure up yesterday as a certain plonker (not me) left the trundle wheel on the station platform!

But we will have all the measurements and details ready before the end of the month.

We are getting chip timing, and will have prizes and medals, so I guess you could say we are taking it quite seriously.

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Here we have a video of the track route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWJR8i-CtM

It is an exciting and quite varied track that should provide a good challenge and lots of fun. There is one short sharp uphill, one other incline later on and the rest is all nice downhills or flats.

We measured the track ourselves per Rick's suggestions above.

One lap is 1,532m, so in order to complete a marathon 42,000m that is 27 laps and 636m.

A half marathon is 13 laps and 1084m

Signups are available here;
http://blitzfestival.co.uk/registration/

It will be an extra £7 on the day (exact price tbc)

The race is due to start at 11:30am.

There will be chip timing.

This is the route;

Return to “Events”