Skatemania:Preston roller marathon Sun 12th May 2013

What, where, when and why

Moderator: Traffic warden

Dan B
New school
New school

Re: Skatemania:Preston roller marathon Sun 12th May 2013

Postby Dan B » Wed May 15, 2013 12:16 pm

The faster you can skate, the sooner you finish and so the less time you have to spend doubled over. Simple

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Thu May 16, 2013 5:55 pm

James claimed it took him 1hr 18, but considering we were aquaplaning pretty much the entire time did not help.
If it makes you feel any better he lapped me 4 times and I finished 3rd

You should have said hello Inkh0rn, I didn't catch which one you were.

The event went pretty well considering. A dryer day would have been nice mind.

ed!
New school
New school

Postby ed! » Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 pm

it was a race for second place then :-) who won it?

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 am

ed! wrote:it was a race for second place then :-) who won it?

More skaters from Nottingham: Speedy Matt 2nd, Bionic Bob 3rd, Spare Tim 4th. Japanese Dave 7th with more Notts peeps behind.

James was second in the half behind his padawan learner, Skaiti Katie 3rd, Me 4th and Katrin 5th.

evilzzz
New school
New school

Postby evilzzz » Fri May 17, 2013 11:27 am

Acidedge wrote:James was second in the half behind his padawan learner, Skaiti Katie 3rd, Me 4th and Katrin 5th.

Did he only have one skate on for that one one or something?

1:18 for the marathon in the rain is just crazy.. I dream of doing these sort of times in the dry.. with someone to draft.. :|

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Fri May 17, 2013 2:05 pm

evilzzz wrote:
Acidedge wrote:James was second in the half behind his padawan learner, Skaiti Katie 3rd, Me 4th and Katrin 5th.

Did he only have one skate on for that one one or something?

He pulled his padawan around for 13 laps... then she outsprinted him to the finish line. :lol:

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Mon May 27, 2013 5:38 pm

James claimed it took him 1hr 18, but considering we were aquaplaning pretty much the entire time did not help.
If it makes you feel any better he lapped me 4 times and I finished 3rd

You should have said hello Inkh0rn, I didn't catch which one you were.

The event went pretty well considering. A dryer day would have been nice mind.

NSJason, I was the slowest of the inliners in the marathon - yellow rain jacket and Seba GT90's - otherwise known as Stu ;). We did chat briefly and on the way round. I was admiring your 100mm wheel setup (& wishing I had them!).

Was good to meet you lot, however briefly. I chatted to Tim and Pete (domsablos, I think) on the way round as well. Didn't get a chance to tell you I was 'inkh0rn'. Can't get used to this forum moniker malarkey!

I was keeping up with Tim and the other two for the first few laps, then passed them and felt quite chuffed until they sailed past me and went about 2 laps ahead somewhere around lap 18! Lesson learned about pacing, methinks.

If it makes you feel any better, James is currently the fastest speed skater we have in the UK.

and i just binned my bearings :(

Nightmare! I bathed mine in paraffin for the 4 days it took for my GTS90 boots to dry off...then let them air-dry a bit, then blasted them with WD40.Only one turned freely. Deciding they were goosed, I reassembled them, put them back on the GTS90s and rolled them...hallelujah! All rolling, noisily but quickly! Took them for a skate at Preston again in the dry, did 14 laps (13.86 miles) in 1hr 13. Not sure how long they'll last with just WD lubing them...however I thought they were trashed so anything's a bonus. They are rattly as hell, though, which suggests some better lube needed if they are to last more than one or two more skates ;).

Anyone coming up for the August weekend at Aintree? Was considering the 24 hour, but being realistic it'll probably just be the marathon on the Sun. Or maybe the half on Sat...then the marathon on Sun...? :)

Return to “Events”