Introduce yourself - old

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby lurch » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:39 am

Hi Alice, Norway is a beautiful part of the world I must say. I seem to recall a few posts from Norweigian slalomers in the past, a few minutes searching turned these up although they are pretty old. Perhaps there are also more threads lurking somewhere. You could try PM'ing your fellow countrymen in these threads for more contacts...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10623
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10543

Alice Norway
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Alice Norway » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:47 pm

lurch wrote:Hi Alice, Norway is a beautiful part of the world I must say. I seem to recall a few posts from Norweigian slalomers in the past, a few minutes searching turned these up although they are pretty old. Perhaps there are also more threads lurking somewhere. You could try PM'ing your fellow countrymen in these threads for more contacts...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10623
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10543

Thanks lurch, thanks for your help, I will try and contact try and contact any norwegian I can find there. If i`m lucky I might get a respond:).I looks like anything ot do with rollerblades has kinda disapered abit here. In the shops you can hardly find any inline skates anymore. Its all about skateboarding now. But my hope is that people will hear about slalom and see that you dont have to risk your neck to do cool stuff on blades:P.
And thanks for that comment on norway, would definitely say that norway on a sunny summer day is just beautifull(worth seeing even those all the high prices), especially on the coast(with the fjords and all;).

Gingerness
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Gingerness » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Hello all [ :
My name is Stuart.
+ yes, i'm ginger, hence the name.
I'm also ranked 74th in the UK for speedskating :)
Yeah, sounds pretty good, anit [ i think so anyhow]
But theres on about 300 speed skaters in the Uk, so it's not really.
LOL.
Anywhoo, i'm 12, blue eyes, quite chubby, not very confident tbh but i deal with it.
And i LOVE to skate.
I'm mainly a speedskater, been doing it for about 2 years now.
And i used to agressive skate, just starting again now.
Also, i'm just starting to try out slalom skating, also abit of freestyle once in a while :)
I live in Southport, North West of England. And no, just becuase i live near Liverpool, doesn't mean i'm a scouser (y)
Also i recently was in the Skate Nation show on CBBC, was knocked out in the 1st TV show, but got through a few rounds before that, so i'm pretty chuffed :)
Although, artistic skating obv. wasn't my thing. Haha.
Also, alot of the tricks were hard on inline skates, whereas after the show i went on a pair of quads and found a lot of the skills quite simple compared to on inlines.
But anyway, thats me basically :)
Add me on msn if youu want to, ' s_chunk@hotmail.co.uk ' :)
[Happy skateforum-ing] ;)

JonH
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby JonH » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:59 pm

I've been lurking on serpentineroad.com for the past two months or so that I've been back into skating after a 10+ year break. Funnily enough I just registered to ask about Norway. I'm moving to Bergen from the UK next week, so no more Sunday Strolls for me. :( Looking at rollers.no it seems like there is a small inline scene in Oslo, but unfortunately not on the west coast. Plus as my Norwegian is somewhere between intermediate and terrible so I'm not having that much luck with google.

Having been to Bergen a few times before I think Slalom is definitely the way to go (I don't really want to hurtle down 30% incline cobble-stone streets). Having never really slalomed before, the first thing I'm going do is find a nice quiet place to do a lot of falling over. :)

sw21
Lurker

Postby sw21 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 am

Hello,

I'm Julien, 21 (single!!) and I am completly new here because I arrived in London two weeks ago from France.
I have practice skate in Paris few times and this sunday was my first stroll in London. This was very good to visit this town as we went west/east!! That was really fun and exciting I hope I will be back next weekend !
As Im here for few months to improve my english speaking (which is bad believe me!) I am interested to skate and meet people as well.

Julien

soad0901 AT hotmail.com

tccdave
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby tccdave » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:23 am

(Reposted)

(Oops, didn't notice this thread, already posted elsewhere!)

Hi, I'm Dave, and I'm still under the impression that 3 is a more suitable number of wheels for a vehicle than 8.

:)

Also, I don't know what a Gumbie is, and I'm afraid to ask in case I are one.

:)

(Actually, Sol's explained it to me. One day I hope to be a Gumbie. :) )

Alice Norway
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Alice Norway » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:48 pm

JonH wrote:I've been lurking on serpentineroad.com for the past two months or so that I've been back into skating after a 10+ year break. Funnily enough I just registered to ask about Norway. I'm moving to Bergen from the UK next week, so no more Sunday Strolls for me. :( Looking at rollers.no it seems like there is a small inline scene in Oslo, but unfortunately not on the west coast. Plus as my Norwegian is somewhere between intermediate and terrible so I'm not having that much luck with google.

Having been to Bergen a few times before I think Slalom is definitely the way to go (I don't really want to hurtle down 30% incline cobble-stone streets). Having never really slalomed before, the first thing I'm going do is find a nice quiet place to do a lot of falling over. :)

My norwegian is great, and still I can┬┤t find much on the internett about other freestyle skaters in Norway;P.I wonder where they are hiding..I just heard about some in oslo, skating in Frognerparken(a park in oslo)..

Graeme
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Graeme » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi I'm Graeme living in Beckenham but from the frozen waste lands of Scotland.Just starting out on this crazy skatin adventure (y)

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:46 pm

tccdave wrote:(Actually, Sol's explained it to me. One day I hope to be a Gumbie. :) )

A futile aspiration, I'm afraid. There are many gumbies, but only one Gumbie.

james306
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby james306 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi all

I'm James, have just invested in a pair of Rollerblade X5 Fusion. I ice skate but haven't been on roller blades for around 12 years.

I live in Portsmouth on a boat with my partner jelly who has just obtained her ICP Level 1 so am keen to get back on skates and learn again. Are there any other people in the area?

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:28 pm

*cry* why do people never ask for advice before buying skates? don't get me wrong the fusions are okay, but you could have done better. *sigh*

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you wanted a UFS boot for some reason... or maybe, just maybe you tried on everything in the shop and the fusions fit best.
Actually I'm going to believe this anyways as it makes me the happiest.

*sticks fingers in ears* lalalalala...

hatzi-katzi
New school
New school

Postby hatzi-katzi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:04 pm

Hello James,
first of all welcome to the scene,
second don't listen to domsablos.
third have fun and enjoy your self!

Surly Pete, if James' partner just done the ICP, I kind of think that she knows about skating and skates (propably more than you) and what ever reason they decided on choosing those skates i'm sure it's not up to you to say if it was a bad decision.

and I nearly went for those skatres myself,not just for the pretty colours but they are comfortable, and fit my style of skating and are not to expensive. the only downside is another fashion factor, they do look rather wide at the front and not very girly. But I might change my mind and do get new skates for x-mas :)

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:56 pm

*hangs head in shame* sorry about that James.
I didn't mean to say you made the wrong decision, I just find it frustrating that people post already having bought their skates and ask for peoples opinions.

You didn't actually do this, i just happened to slap you with that fish anyway.

The fusions, are actually quite a good skate, and as Kat said you dont need me to tell you that. The fusions just happen to annoy me for some reason.

ps. this apology was not in anyway prompted by the fact I see Kat on a regular basis and she scares me rather a lot.

yours sincerely.
Last edited by Domsablos on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hatzi-katzi
New school
New school

Postby hatzi-katzi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 pm

but I'm lovely- not scary at all *puppy dog eyes*

Whould you like to share your top five and explain your reasons, pete, I'm just curious, and might put some of your advise in my decision on the skates I might be getting soon.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Well it really depends what you want to do with your skates. And this is obviously here-say and speculation as I haven't tried them all on.

Okay top of the tree, probably either The Seba high's or Powerslide Hardcore Evo's, the Evo's are the newcomers but powerslide seem to produce higher quality stuff for a higher prices. I like the idea of using salom skates for skating because of the benefits from the extra control I suspect a lack of comfort here however.

Next the Seba Fr1's which everyone seems to love, but are ugly and heavy, not that these are particularly good reasons not to choose a skate. oh yeah don't forget indestructible.

The Seba Gt's, and Powerslide S3 seem to be a nice compromise between control and comfort, and are a lot lighter, especially if you go for 80's on the Seba Gt's.

Next up, Twisters which i love because they are indestructible now they fixed the buckle issues and come with a heel break, a lot of the top slalom skaters still use twisters so we know they rock. Also the Roces ASP's which have a slightly unusual boot fit making them the only option for some skaters, they also come in +11 sizes.

next up the Fusions which i dislike because they use a UFS frame which is non standard, they also use the old buckle from the twisters which was prone to breaking, are heavier than the twister and use velcro!... but from what i've heard are as comfortable as the FR1's.

The Jury still seems to be out on the Powerslide Metro and Seba FRX. But I suspect are a good value for money *shock horror!* budget option, possibly even equal to the twisters.

And lastly... the iGor's because who could possibly wear skates branded like an iphone? i mean really?

okay so that was a little more than top 5... but meh.

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Oi, play nicely you two!

james306
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby james306 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:22 pm

When I went out to buy my new skates I had the FRX's in mind, being as I don't need a top of the range pair they would have done me fine. Unfortunately because my feet are quite wide they killed my feet and were uncomfortable from the second I put them on, inevitably being the same boot the FR1s were the same. They only held the Twisters in the old style which I knew had a problematic buckle. (I didn't know the Fusions had the same buckle so this is interesting to know) I tried on various pairs and the Fusions were pretty much the only pair I found comfortable.

The advice I was given was that at my level of skill, make, model doesn't really matter as long as they're comfy to skate in. These fit the bill nicely and happen to be good quality skates.

The introduction was more to say hello and see if anyone skates in my area.

Radau
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Radau » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:21 am

Hi I'm Chris and I hail from the not so sunny shores of Jersey, Channel Islands :)

Naomi
Admin
Admin

Postby Naomi » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:48 am

Radau wrote:Hi I'm Chris and I hail from the not so sunny shores of Jersey, Channel Islands :)

Hi, what kind of skating do you do out there? and is there much of a scene?

Radau
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Radau » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Naomi wrote:
Radau wrote:Hi I'm Chris and I hail from the not so sunny shores of Jersey, Channel Islands :)

Hi, what kind of skating do you do out there? and is there much of a scene?

Well I moved here just over a year a go and I used to skate aggressive back home, but I recently picked up a new pair of skates and I'm working on my freestyle slalom. There doesn't seem to be any sort of an established scene but there were a fair few rec skaters near the sea front over the summer.

Most of the kids seem to skateboard in the winter and surf in the summer.

Although the lack of skaters is probably also fuelled by the fact there isn't one decent skate shop (although I guess you wouldn't expect there to be on such a small island), and only one sports shop I've found that sells some fitness skates.

Return to “Welcome”