Introduce yourself - old

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

Law
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Law » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi, I am Law.

I think I was born 20 years too early in the Skating Technology terms/evolution.

My first pair of skates I bought in 1980, from Argos - Quad with red straps, black blocky wheels and clicky bearings, almost killed me as I dented the door of a black cab at the bottom of Wimbledon Hill. That was one and only time it was ever used. It was quicker walking for sure, unless you have a hill to go down in them.

I didn't rediscover skating until I purchase a plastic Bauer Inline skate from Slick Willies, then at High Street Ken, in 1995 when it was trendy. Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens was still free of graveled coated paths and you can go everywhere. That ended when I lent them to a friend who wanted to try them for commuting in Stevenage. He was useless and returned them with wheels looking like circular door stops. I am quite glad he was alive from the stories he told me. I then bought a pair of K2 inlines in Boston and carried on, but all my mates weren't keen and sometimes One is not very fun. As the Royal Park paths got graveled coated a week after the collision of a skater and a cyclist, the latter fatally, the fun was over.

2007, some people from a social group wanted to try rollerblading and I thought why not and got hooked again. I bought a pair of Seba High, size 9, which turned out to be a smidgen too tight around the toes, bugger!! So purchased a Seba High Carbons size 9.5 a year later with some Slalom cones. I am back!!!

My family thinks I am a nut short of a ball bearing, and they maybe correct. But I guess it 's a passion... "I love to skate"... even when it's mostly badly. I did the suicide skate recently and realised how bad it can be.

See you on Stroll or in HP.

Cheers,

Law

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:08 pm

Law wrote:. As the Royal Park paths got graveled coated a week after the collision of a skater and a cyclist, the latter fatally, the fun was over.

I remember it well but actually the fun never really stopped, welcome back and hope to see you on a stroll soon.

luv2sk8
Lurker

Postby luv2sk8 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:12 am

Hi I'm luv2sk8 and up I love to skate. I've been inline skating for about 6 or 7 years now and just switched last year to bont semi-race from fitness skates. I can see myself in speedskates sooner rather than later. It's the natural progression I think.

skittles
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby skittles » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:27 am

Hi from Australia,

I started skating last February and I love it. I love my FR2s as well. (Apparently a good deal at AU$200, which I believe is a bit over 100 pound). Back then, when I was finding out about important things like how to stop, I came across a freestyle video called ÔÇ£LondonstyleÔÇØ, with a pretty English girl whose name escapes me... Anyway, I was deeply impressed, and a year later IÔÇÖm still trying bravely. Like a few of you, IÔÇÖm the only skater in my town (the only gay in the village, now I know how it feels!), so itÔÇÖs great to have these forums for inspiration. Fortunately, most people passing by smile tolerantly and say nice things. My goal for 2010 is to get to Melbourne and meet some good slalomers. Maybe someone knows if there are any more workshops planned for down here in the future.

Beericons, how exciting! Here I am hugging a beer: ({) (b). Cheers.

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby lurch » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:38 am

Hi Skittles,

You want to get in touch with Bayside Blades in Melbourne, it's run by Neil and Andrea and they also organise all the local slalom competitions and workshops. They've got an upcoming events calendar on their website here http://www.baysideblades.com.au/blading ... _news2.htm

They also have a Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wal ... 6663723425

The video would have been Naomi Grigg most likely (was it this one?). She's going to be in Melbourne later this year running workshops I believe, her schedule of workshops is here http://www.skatefreestyle.com/schedule/year_planner.asp

Good luck finding other locals down there. I was in Melbourne late last year and the scene there seems to be blossoming, so you could be in luck!

Cheers

skittles
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby skittles » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:15 am

Wow, thanks lurch,

Bayside are great, I've bought some stuff from them. I checked out Naomi's site (of course it was her, I couldn't forget. My wife was rather suspicious of the 'Naomi' file on my laptop!). Looks like there is a tour in April but no workshop booking dates as yet. Brilliant.

Phill B
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Phill B » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Hello to all, i am Phill b. i have been inline skating for about 2 years. i have tried my hand at aggressive skating but it wasn`t for me ( bailing and taking a fall at my age is not nice ). so after a lot of looking around for info on the internet and lurking on here for a few weeks i have bought a pair of seba fr1. i managed to get out today for the first time in weeks ( bloody weather ggggrrrr ) and i am well happy with them, the fit and feel are great, they are also very comfotable and very responsive.

I live in Blackpool, which has as of 3 years ago a fantastic area for skating. the new promenade is a concrete paradise that stretches for miles and is flat enough to iron your shirt on 8)

dodgy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby dodgy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Phill B wrote:
I live in Blackpool, which has as of 3 years ago a fantastic area for skating. the new promenade is a concrete paradise that stretches for miles and is flat enough to iron your shirt on 8)

Hiya

concrete paradise you say? hhmmm may have to pop over & compare concrete 8)

aah the competition between decaying Victorian seaside resorts lives on :)

Phill B
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Phill B » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 pm

dodgy wrote:
Phill B wrote:

Hiya

concrete paradise you say? hhmmm may have to pop over & compare concrete 8)

aah the competition between decaying Victorian seaside resorts lives on :)

Hello dodgy, the next time god decides we have had enough rain and i can finaly get to the prom, i will make a short video of said concrete paradise and get it on here for you to see. fingers crossed it will be this weekend. :)

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Phill B wrote:I live in Blackpool, which has as of 3 years ago a fantastic area for skating. the new promenade is a concrete paradise that stretches for miles and is flat enough to iron your shirt on 8)

Hi Phil B, oooh we used to do trips to blackpool and try and get some skating in but the pleasure beach kind of got in the way!

Maybe its time for another trip? I think the concrete promenade was there when we visited last time but it rained a lot. Do yo know any other skaters up there?

Are the piers still wooden slats, they were fun to skate on

Phill B
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Phill B » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:00 pm

GuinnessGirl wrote:
Phill B wrote:I live in Blackpool, which has as of 3 years ago a fantastic area for skating. the new promenade is a concrete paradise that stretches for miles and is flat enough to iron your shirt on 8)

Hi Phil B, oooh we used to do trips to blackpool and try and get some skating in but the pleasure beach kind of got in the way!

Maybe its time for another trip? I think the concrete promenade was there when we visited last time but it rained a lot. Do yo know any other skaters up there?

Are the piers still wooden slats, they were fun to skate on

Hello GuinnesGirl, i don`t know any other skaters up here (apart from my 11 and 13 year old son`s, who by the way are much better than me lol). most of my friends are in Manchester where i am originaly from (only been in blackpool 5 years).

The piers are still wooden slats and horrrible when wet.

The promenade is still not completed (and will not be for a few years) but the stretch that is done is awsome. as i said earlier to dodgy i will try and get to the prom this weekend and make a short vid, or atleast some photos for you all to see.

GumbieBEN
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GumbieBEN » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:09 pm

For introductions and beginner help, please see the new 'Welcome' forum!

Return to “Welcome”