An introduction and a question... (best urban skates?)

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

An introduction and a question... (best urban skates?)

Postby krantz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Robert.

I found this board because I'm looking for an answer to the following conundrum...

I've been skating aggressive for ten years, so I am very confident with a pair of blades. Alas, because of the nature of my work I now have no time for skate-parks, but I do use my skates to traverse the great city of London (commuting, exercise and pleasure - I do it a lot!).

I've been doing this on a modded pair of aggressives, and now it's time to shop for the perfect city/urban skate. Money is no object, but the abundance of choice is - so many skates market themselves as perfect for both slalom and urban, but I just don't buy that waffle.

Some comrades recommended the Rollerblade Twister and the Seba FR1 Deluxe. However, I'm used to the lightness and integrity of carbon-fiber in my aggressive skates, so I'm wondering if there are any out there which would also work. What are your thoughts? (on the two models above, or suggestions on an alternative would be great).

Many thanks,

- Robert

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re: An introduction and a question... (best urban skates?)

Postby atlsk8r » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 pm

This is the favorite all-purpose skate I've owned.

http://universkate.net/sebaskatesv2/roller/igor/

Carbon fiber. Relatively light. Excellent frame. Extremely stiff and high-performing, if you're into that kinda thing. It's proved more durable than I would've originally guessed. And it's black.

Deffo great for slalom, but I also really like it for street and general freestyle. Note that the frame is pre-rockered. Some people on this forum aren't fond of skating rockered on the street. Though I think it is a great way to grow as a skater and way more fun to boot.

Whatever you choose, good luck with the commute.

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Can I ask, what is wrong with your modded aggressives?

I used to street skate a lot but unlike atlsk8r I never liked using my slalom skates on the street, not because of the rocker, I always skate with a rocker. The issue is that I can always feel every last bump on the awful london roads with my Seba High Carbon, I've used Seba Fr1 on the street, Rollerblade twisters and Salomon FSKs, but if I was ever to go out on a street skate now I wouldn't take anything but my Salomon aggressives (Brandon Campbell pro model) with an 80mm frame(Salomon 3vsl) with a rocker.

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 am

I agree with Phil that you will feel the bumps in the road riding a pair of Igors. But having done some speed skating, I'm used to the sensation.

Some people judge this to be an irritant. Others liken it to how you feel the road in a high-performance sports car. It's really just a matter of taste, I guess.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 am

I guess I want to switch to freestyle for two reasons...

1 - I presumed that there would be a genre of skate which is purpose-built for urban skating

2 - The soul-plate (which are quite big on Valo's) are unnecessary

I notice that the Rollerblade Twister has an LE version out now with new wheels, I may give that a go.

Failing that...is it possible to put freestyle frames on aggressive skates without too much modding? I'm using powerblade frames at the moment which are UFS. Maybe some weight can be saved by simply switching instead of buying a new skate.

Thanks for the great advice guys!

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm

I am very much liking my new Seba FR1 deluxes. The deluxe liner is a lot like an aggressive liner and there's enough padding to absorb the little bumps on the road but still give you good control. In my Seba Highs I feel every little bump so I don't wear them for street skating.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Thanks for the information on the deluxe. I think that I'm either going to go with that or the Rollerblade Twister LE's, unless somebody here has some in-depth experience as to why one of the higher-end carbon models works well for street skating.

I really want to try a pair of Sebas, but after reading some dirt reviews on customer service I may go with Rollerblade's just for after sale piece of mind.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:48 pm

What customer reviews are you referring too? because i've never heard anyone complain about Seba customer service.

The Twisters (my first pair of skates which i loved) are damn good skates but i prefer my Seba High's, and any of the FR1's are better for street skating.

If you have a bit more money to spend the Powerslide Hardcore Evo is probably the best on the market at the moment.

kazanaki
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kazanaki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:53 pm

I own both Twister and Seba FR1

It is very easy to find replacement parts for Fr1 (Cuffs, straps, buckles, axles) and unless you break down the shell itself everything is easily replaceable (including the liner)

On the other hand Twister has almost non-existing spare parts

So you might want to keep that in mind as well..

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:56 am

Domsablos - http://zecoprzepraszam.wordpress.com/category/skating/. Also, can I really use the Hardcore Evo for street purposes? I was told that it is a slalom skate, and would hurt/affect bones on street.

Kazanaki, you own both skates?! I've been looking for the weight of each boot all over the place to no avail, but what I really care about is - which is heavier...the Rollerblade or Seba?

Wow, this forum has already proven useful. I can't stress how thankful I am guys. It's like starting to learn about aggressive skates from scratch - a minefield!

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kowalski » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Hey man,

I want to get some Valo carbons and currently I have RB Twister which I use for urban skating, they are fun to use, responsive and light and the air vents really help when your feet start sweating. The stock wheels are shitty though.

I'm away from home but will check at my friend's if they have a scale and weigh them. I'd be interested in knowing the weight of the Valos too.

Peace,

kowalski

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:52 pm

krantz wrote:I guess I want to switch to freestyle for two reasons...

1 - I presumed that there would be a genre of skate which is purpose-built for urban skating

There are, but I guess I still prefer my modded aggressives.

2 - The soul-plate (which are quite big on Valo's) are unnecessary

ah yes, the soul plates have been taken off mine.

Failing that...is it possible to put freestyle frames on aggressive skates without too much modding? I'm using powerblade frames at the moment which are UFS. Maybe some weight can be saved by simply switching instead of buying a new skate.

It is possible using a chopping board, i.e. cutting up a plastic kitchen chopping board and placing that between the frame and boot. However that is usually done to fit UFS frames to a stepped boot, so at the heel, I've not seen someone do this with a freestyle frame and UFS boot as you'd either have to mount the frame backwards or put the chopping board block at the front. To be honest though, I don't think you'll be saving much weight...

kazanaki
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kazanaki » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Ok multiple topics here.

1)Regarding Twister vs FR1

Although I have both it is a bit difficult to judge weight since they have different frames (4x80 vs 5x90)
I would say that in my mind the twister has less weight but this is just my feeling. The twister has no slide pads.

But if you care so much about weight then look for a skate with carbon such as the Igor already mentioned. Seba High also has carbon versions
and some Powerslide skates as well (the EVO for example)

2)Seba reviews for customer support

This blog is a little shady for me :evil: . The guy has very good connections so he doesn't seem like a random skater with a blog. I won't even comment
on the reviews there.

Anyway I think this is all wrong. When you have a problem with something you first contact the shop and THEN then manufacturer. If Seba responded
to all people that have questions/issues with their skates they wouldn't do anything else than answering emails all day.

3)The rolleblade fusion line (Search Greg Mirzoyan videos) is a freestyle skate but with a UFS boot. So perhaps you can find a frame like this instead of dealing
with chopping kitchen boards :lol:

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:28 pm

krantz, I wouldn't use slalom- or speed-skates for freeride. Certainly they are lightweight but super uncomfy on rough streets.

About Rollerblade spare parts, yes you won't get any. But there you can use Seba or other parts. So no big deal.

kazanaki wrote:This blog is a little shady for me :evil: . The guy has very good connections so he doesn't seem like a random skater with a blog. I won't even comment
on the reviews there.

Anyway I think this is all wrong. When you have a problem with something you first contact the shop and THEN then manufacturer. If Seba responded
to all people that have questions/issues with their skates they wouldn't do anything else than answering emails all day.

Twister are lighter than FR1 but weigh almost the same when compared to FR2. Why? FR1 have steelplates for the frame mounting.

Why is his blog shady? He's a pro skater who rolles all kind of skates. You know that he ownes a skate shop? Hence contacting Seba is the way to go. :P
Why would Seba have to answer emails all day long? So many issues with their skates? ;)

kazanaki
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kazanaki » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:13 pm

azumi wrote:
Why is his blog shady? He's a pro skater who rolles all kind of skates. You know that he ownes a skate shop? Hence contacting Seba is the way to go. :P
Why would Seba have to answer emails all day long? So many issues with their skates? ;)

No, they have too many customers! :lol:

And I am sure that they have better things to do than answering questions like "what is the difference between FR and FR deluxe?" 8)

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Like RB? Funny that Seba's customers rather ask questions then rolling about.

Aren't there descriptions to their products? Sounds like there is a lot to learn.. :P

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks guys, I will definitely try the FR1 and Twister. But to be honest, I am still holding out in my heart for a carbon skate which is good for city skating. There must be one somewhere!

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Wow, I just found these on e-bay for like 85 pounds. Surely they are the same as the Twisters but with larger wheels and funkier colours. Bargain or no?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLLERBLADE-R ... 7421114%26

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:12 pm

If they are new and unused it's a good price. Well, if you like 90mm wheels. These come with soft-cuffs which are sewed to the liners. Hence once the liners are worn out you need cuffs (plus screws, buckles etc).

If you want carbon have a look at Fila NRK Road.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:28 am

Wow, Azumi - those actually look awesome to me. Plus, they're carbon and they have a shock absorber. Has anybody actually tried these out? This could be the solution to my problem!

Return to “Welcome”