An introduction and a question... (best urban skates?)

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re: An introduction and a question... (best urban skates?)

Postby Domsablos » Thu May 09, 2013 7:46 pm

do you think we're all payed up members of Seba or something azumi, I can garuntee you that the majority of people that i know wear Seba skates. And when i used to do the LFNS the majority of skaters were using Seba skates so explain to me how this is a myth.

And what skates would you say are the most predominantly used skates for street skating?

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 pm

I doubt that Seba can buy that many people.^^ Anyhow, an overhype is still just an overhype. And it might be true that in certain regions where an overhype is propagated the majority tend to buy the hype.
Anyway, if you are interested in quality check out other brands.^^

Globally speaking? I bet K2 or maybe Rollerblade. :)

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Fri May 10, 2013 3:02 am

Why would Sebas be a gamble on quality? Most people I know/see both online and offline are more or less satisfied with their Sebas. Azumi's the main exception that comes to mind, and I'd uh.. take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Twisters aren't bad, but they're sort of an old design. A shock absorber is nice, but I wouldn't say that they're strictly necessary for street skating. I've been on my share of 40km street skates, never had any problems despite not having a shock absorber in my skates. If you really want the best performing skates, I'd take another look at EVOs/iGors, especially if you intend on doing any slalom with them.

kazanaki
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kazanaki » Fri May 10, 2013 12:04 pm

The best urban skates are

1)Those that fit you
2)Those that do what you want them to do.

Everything else is a myth...

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Fri May 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Shaw, you know, I had my fair share of quality control. And Seba did not meet my demand. And I have a pretty high demand since I am used to RB. Most people who buy into a hype never even compare the hype with other brands, and if they do it's merely on a superficial level. Plus keep in mind, all those propagating how bad all other brands are compared to the hype which is of course the best of the best. Loads of blah blah blah. That's called brainwashing. Therefore I can only advice to not listen to all these fanboys! Try out as many brands as you can and then decide for yourself.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Blather on about quality control and hype if you want, but I second Domsablos in saying that from my experiences Sebas are by far the most popular skates among intermediate to advanced skaters. This doesn't mean that their skates are necessarily the best, but it does imply that a majority of experienced skaters do not have a problem with their skates.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Fri May 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Actually it does not. It rather implies that many, and I wouldn't call it majority, have been successfully brainwashed.^^
Last edited by azumi on Fri May 10, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Fri May 10, 2013 4:53 pm

ah, i stand corrected it's Brainwashing, not Bribery.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Fri May 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Yes, because you're the only one who can tell a good skate from a bad one. Anyone who thinks differently must be brainwashed!

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Fri May 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Domsablos, the entourage are certainly brainwashed while the sponsored ones are more or less bought. If you prefer you can call it bribery instead.^^

No, actually I ain't the only one. Or the chosen one. I am merely one, of many skaters, who dares to take a stand against a hype. Besides, how can you expect people with no experience whatsoever to feel the difference between quality and quantity? Furthermore not everybody who disagrees with me must be brainwashed. But those who behave like bigots about one brand only certainly are. That said, feel free to expand your mind.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Fri May 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Am I brainwashed? I'm pretty sure that you've insinuated on a number of occasions that I "buy into the hype" because I don't think Seba skates are low quality.

So how come my opinion is "buying into the hype" but yours is truth? Are you a more experienced skater than me? Are you a better skater than me? If not, then what makes you think that you're a better judge on skate quality?

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 pm

Shaw, low quality to what? In your case quality is rather relative. Like, one thousand dollars is a teasure for a homeless person while peanuts for a millionaire. Are you the homeless person here? ^^
Have you ever taken the time to compare the quality of different brands beyond the surface? Well, I did. And I discovered that the hype is just an overhype. The demanded price is inconsistent with the given build quality.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Sat May 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Relative to comparable skates, what else?

You know, I think the main problem is just that the brainwashed Seba fanatics you rave about don't actually exist. I have a couple of friends who switched from Sebas to Powerslides, you know what their attitude is?
"I had Seba highs, and I was happy with them. Now I have Powerslide EVOs, and I'm happy with them as well."
Seba makes good skates, Powerslide makes good skates, Rollerblade makes good skates. Outside of you, who here disagrees with that?

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Sat May 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Shaw, the computer says, 'No.' :D

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Mon May 13, 2013 11:35 am

Not that this thread is about this anymore, but just to let you all know that I'm returning the Twisters today and I got my hands on a pair of Salomon FSK skates on ebay for less than £40. I think I will just pick up different brands gradually, cheaply and second-hand to try them out for myself.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 pm

To be fair the thread is still about discussing the best Urban skates, its just become more of an argument.

The Salomon series were excellent, they stopped making skates about 5 years ago, but there are still some about. If you were lucky enough to get the ones the the metal frames you can't go wrong at that price.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Sorry about that, didn't intend to derail your thread.

While it's good to get more experience with different brands, it's important to keep in mind that it's the skater that matters, not the skates. While there probably is that one skate model out there that fits you better than the rest, it's more realistic just to find a pair that does what you want and to be happy with them.

That being said, it is kind of odd that you'd say money is no object and then opt for a brand that hasn't made skates in years.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for the information about the FSK line Dom. The frames that came with them are carbon composite (FSK 238). Right now they have 70mm wheels on them and I'm unsure whether they'll fit my 80mm hyper concrete wheels. But I have access to another pair which are a size lower, with aluminium 237 FSK frames and 80mm wheels. I'm thinking of buying them too and swapping the frames, thus creating the perfect pair for my girlfriend too (who is just starting out!). Does that sound good to you? (

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Mon May 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Oops, just read on rockering information on different models of FSK frames. I now have an understanding of what to expect.

Shaw, the Salomon's are just to play around with. I will still have sufficient funds to buy a brand new pair when I can get down to a skate-shop myself and try a whole bunch out. You guys were right to begin with, I should have just gone down to a skateshop and chosen in person.

kev0
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kev0 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:14 pm

238 will not fit 4x80's if that is what you are asking. it will fit 4x76 or 76-80-80-76

Return to “Welcome”