An introduction and a question... (best urban skates?)

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Re: An introduction and a question... (best urban skates?)

Postby krantz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:30 am

Hmmm, I'm having difficulty finding a shop that sells them within the UK...super hard to find it seems.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Scratch that - it's super hard to find these puppies in my size at any skate-shop online, period. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:04 pm

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 pm

They are actually quite awesome 'cause the have even removable liners, and ain't clunky like Seba High, and weigh even less!

http://vimeo.com/32068853

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 pm

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks dude, I appreciate your research. Sadly, they either don't have my size or it's not in English (I feel quite worried paying so much for something with a shop I don't 100% understand, just in case I need to skate swap!

I've e-mailed Fila directly.

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:23 pm

While you wait for their reply, give www.nomadeshop.com a shot. They have a UK version of their online shop and are reliable. I couldn't find the link because apparently the website is not iPad friendly. Anyways, I know they have them.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 am

Only the 2013 version comes in my size, which isnÔÇÖt a bad thing, but does anybody know the differences? Maybe they skimped on areas? I canÔÇÖt work out if those are hyper concrete wheels on the new ones! Any thoughts? So close to booking now!

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 pm

The wheels are Fila's own brand,

http://www.zsport.it/wp-content/uploads ... _road2.png

Just get them. If you don't like them send them back.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:50 pm

Cool. I think youÔÇÖre right, IÔÇÖve already got hyper concrete 80mm wheels on my powerblading setup so if the wheels suck then I can simply switch them. I shall post a review once I try them out, thanks guys!

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 am

I hope you followed the sizing guide for fila. Looking forward to your review :)

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Ah man, I usually just order my shoe size. Every aggressive pair I've ever owned has been true to my shoe size, as I think I am neither a small nor big size UK6. I must be in the middle. Are Fila particularly small-fitting then?

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Since aggressive skates are tend to be on the larger size I bet you ordered the wrong size for freeskates (too large).

Better measure your mondopoint.

Instruction on how to measure feet,

take a sheet of paper. Step on it with a naked foot. Make sure you have cut your toenails. Use a ruler or triangle and put it perpendicular in front of your big toe. Take a pen and make a T-mark. The same you do with the heel. After that measure the two T-marks. Since feet do vary in size you have to measure both your feet.

Once you know your proper size get the skates accordingly to their Mondopoint (size in MM). At the beginning skates should feel way too small.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Thu May 09, 2013 9:12 am

Hey guys, here's a little update...

I decided to get the Twisters sent over to me as my regular skate shop is really cool and doesn't mind my refunding if I don't like the skate. Unfortunately, I totally forgot about hard-shell boots having less shell sizes than liner sizes, and my size 6 liner seems to shift around a bit in the toe area. I can't bring myself to take the plunge and try them with this annoyance on the street, as I won't be able to get a refund.

Azumi - I think Fila NRK Road is my next move (wanted to try the safe option first) - but with regards to your comment on my ordering the wrong size - I am a size 6 shoe and size 6 in all aggressive blades (size 6 liner on Twisters fit me perfectly too) so I assume I'm a 6 in the NRK Roads - I hope so because they don't seem to do a smaller size!

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

You know what? The more I read posts on this forum and the more research I do into freeskating in general, the more I have come to understand how broad and bespoke the sport is for each individual I speak with. Creating awesome Frankenstein skates seems to be a very common practice. With this in mind, I think I will just return the Twisters and turn my Valo Lights Powerblades into some super weird FSK skates.

I bet I can do it with a fraction of the money, and it seems to be more in tune with the spirit of your (or I guess that's 'our' now!) communnity.

Now I just have to work out how to create a stand in for those bulky soul-plates on my Valo Lights, and get my hands on some UFS compatible FSK frames!

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Thu May 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Just curious, why Twisters instead of Fusions? Seems like the only reason you'd want Twisters instead of Fusions would be for slalom skating, and If you're slalom skating there are better options out there.

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Domsablos » Thu May 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Shaw wrote:Just curious, why Twisters instead of Fusions? Seems like the only reason you'd want Twisters instead of Fusions would be for slalom skating, and If you're slalom skating there are better options out there.

Yup i'm not entirely sure i'm following your logic on this one. we offer you the best, you complain about them and then decide on an entirely average pair.

that said, I'd personally choose the Twisters over the fusions, but the Twisters have a stepped frame (same as most free skates) where as the fusions are UFS which might be usefull to you as an agressive skater.

PS. Most of us create Frankenstein skates cause, well we're all a bit nuts about our skates, not because there is anything wrong with the standard models.

PPS. by a big margin most street skaters are using FR1's, just bare that in mind.

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Thu May 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Domsablos, this is not the only place I sought advice, although it must be said that your own informed my choice of Twisters. You said that they were damn good skates. I have also dug a little into Seba online (some of which I posted here) and concluded that I did not want to take a gamble on quality. Your other suggestion was the Hardcore Evo. When I raised the shock absorber point you did not respond.

I did not go with Fila NRK Road just yet because they are a high risk option. I'd have to order from a foreign shop who responded in broken English when I dropped them a little e-mail. I could picture the problems arising if I wanted to return them.

Twisters seemed a safe option all round - and easily reversible if it came to it. Simple as that. Thank you all for your advice so far, I don't want you to think that I am ungrateful - it's just a hell of a lot of money!

krantz
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby krantz » Thu May 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Apologies, I should probably have mentioned that I got the Twister 2013 Limited Edition model. They're a little better than your average ones!

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Krantz, UK6 = EU 39 Twister? What do you mean with shifts around? Too wide toe box?
BTW, RB goes down to EU 35.

Domsablos wrote:PPS. by a big margin most street skaters are using FR1's, just bare that in mind.

Which is another Seba a myth.

Shaw, nope! Fusion and Twister have different shells. Hence whatever suit your feet better should be the choice.

I dislike the color theme of the new limited edition.

Return to “Welcome”