Sussex Skater

Introduce yourself and ask anything you like about the forum or skating - no question too stupid

Moderator: Traffic warden

Mutleyx
Gumbie
Gumbie

Sussex Skater

Postby Mutleyx » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 am

Hey all,

I'm returning to skating after a break of around 30 years. I used to rollerskate as a kid and this time around I'm trying inlines. So far I have made the ubiquitous cheap rec skate purchase "just to see if I like it", burnt the wheels on those down from 84mm to 78mm in a couple of weeks learning to T-stop and powerslide, and since decided I need to be more locked in and so have written those off as a mistake and progressed to some Seba FR180Ds.

Now I'm learning to skate backwards and plan to try to learn some basic slalom, once I break my new boots in properly... But that's another story... :)

Cheers,

-Mut.

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Sussex Skater

Postby Quadster » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Where abouts in Sussex are you?

Mutleyx
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Mutleyx » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Quadster wrote:Where abouts in Sussex are you?

Well, it varies. :lol:

I'm based in Pulborough where recently I am often found attempting to learn slalom by weaving/flailing through chalk marked crosses in local carparks. I also drag the kids down to the GYSO rink in Shoreham fairly often and have done the occasional, investigative seaside promenade skate in Lancing, Worthing and King Alfred's in Brighton (which was pretty bumpy).

Still looking for smooth and/or interesting places to skate in the area, so if you have any to share, that would be ace! :)

How about yourself, Quadster, where are you?

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Quadster » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Well seeing as you skate inlines and you're interested in learning slalom, you may be interested in these (assuming that you haven't already heard of them):

http://www.facebook.com/groups/brightonskate/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/151710174959797/

The first link is for a street skate group (but it does have lots of avid cone-heads participants), and the second focuses more on slalom. Both groups contain lots of beginners as well as more advanced skaters, so you may well find it good place to learn.

They tend to visit GYSO in Shoreham during the winter, but I don't know if they'll be doing that as much this year due to most people having become really quite disaffected with the way that the place is run and the attitude of the staff there.

My story is pretty similar to yours in that I skated as a young kid (although only briefly for a few months) and then I didn't skate again for more than 30 years. The difference is that I stayed with quads.

I'm based in Eastbourne now (having left my home town of London a few years ago).

Like you, I'm trying to learn new skills. So for me that means not being content to just roll around doing the basics like I did when I was a child; I'd like to be able to do more (and so that's what I'm working on).

Mutleyx
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Mutleyx » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks for the Facebook links dude. I'm not in Brighton very often but I should make the effort to go say "Hi" and see how it should be done! :)

Interesting to hear that about GYSO... I've found the staff there to be quite helpful so far. But then I've only been to the chilled morning sessions with my nippers.

Speaking of quads, my girlfriend is trying to learn on them. She had a pair as a child too, but didn't really get the hang of them that time around and is hoping for better luck this time. So far she is standing and skating forwards slowly and hasn't fallen over once yet, which is a great start, if a little disappointing for me as I had been telling her to expect a few falls and was secretly quite looking forward to seeing them! :P

Return to “Welcome”