Seba Igor Pro Carbon Skates

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

lord lucan
Power slider
Power slider

Seba Igor Pro Carbon Skates

Postby lord lucan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:54 pm

hi, are the Seba Igor Pro Carbon Skates a wide fitting boot or narrow boot compared to highs

JimmyD
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Re: Seba Igor Pro Carbon Skates

Postby JimmyD » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:26 am

I would also like to know the fit of these skates from anyone with experience. I'm new to skating and was thinking about some Seba Frx / Fr2.
but just seen the Igor for £149 on Locoskates, this has got to be bargain right?

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:24 pm

JimmyD wrote:I would also like to know the fit of these skates from anyone with experience. I'm new to skating and was thinking about some Seba Frx / Fr2.
but just seen the Igor for £149 on Locoskates, this has got to be bargain right?

Didn't manage to get that bargain price, but did get some for a lot less than the £400 RRP. Got them on the way, will see how they go! I've had nothing but problems with inlines in the past due to my dodgy ankles...hoping iGors are the answer ;)
Last edited by inkh0rn on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Lol. Inkh0rn u really haven't given up..I really do hope it works out well for u cos igors r great skates

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Bebai wrote:Lol. Inkh0rn u really haven't given up..I really do hope it works out well for u cos igors r great skates

I've never lost faith, Bebai! Have my prayers been answered? Lol ;)

Worn them twice since got them on Weds. 2 hours Weds night & 3 hours last night. They have blistered both my inner ankles under the ankle bone, quite badly. They are really digging in when I stand & when I skate. Also, the inside right cuff has rubbed my inner calf enough for it to scab over! Jesus, I'm glad I didn't pay £400 for these. I'd be driving to France to have words with Mr Laffargue ;) !

I'm shoe size 11/46, got the same size - MP is 300mm, my longest foot is about 290mm barefoot so maybe I should have got a size smaller? However while the toe box is roomy (I can move my toes up & down & they don't touch the boot) my foot doesn't slip about - the carbon shell holds it absolutely solid.

On the positive side I can feel none of the usual ligament / movement pain I normally get with inlines - even after just 2 sessions I would've expected to feel the strain beginning, especially as I pushed them hard at the rink (on speed skate both nights, several laps at full pelt).

So if I can manage/overcome the ankle rubbing/blistering, then I may have found the answer! I'll keep you posted.

What's your experience, as I've mostly read 'perfect out of the box, no break in, etc etc...' ? I read that GregT on the Skatelog forum found these comfy & he says he has protruding ankles? Appearance wise my ankles are absolutely normal, they don't stick out much etc. I really can't fathom it! However it's looking positive(ish) so far...

Jochen
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Jochen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:56 pm

inkh0rn wrote:Worn them twice since got them on Weds. 2 hours Weds night & 3 hours last night. They have blistered both my inner ankles under the ankle bone, quite badly. They are really digging in when I stand & when I skate. Also, the inside right cuff has rubbed my inner calf enough for it to scab over! Jesus, I'm glad I didn't pay £400 for these. I'd be driving to France to have words with Mr Laffargue ;) !

I'm shoe size 11/46, got the same size - MP is 300mm, my longest foot is about 290mm barefoot so maybe I should have got a size smaller? However while the toe box is roomy (I can move my toes up & down & they don't touch the boot) my foot doesn't slip about - the carbon shell holds it absolutely solid.

On the positive side I can feel none of the usual ligament / movement pain I normally get with inlines - even after just 2 sessions I would've expected to feel the strain beginning, especially as I pushed them hard at the rink (on speed skate both nights, several laps at full pelt).

So if I can manage/overcome the ankle rubbing/blistering, then I may have found the answer! I'll keep you posted.

The usual tips: Play around with the frame position and the wedge under the insole until you feel comfortable. There are not much other possibilities to adjust this skate. (Edit: You can remove the carbon cuffs completely, of course!)

About the size: Lenght is not all ;). But yes, the lenght seems a bit "off". Usually (for Sebas) it's the length of the insole that's measured so this should be even shorter than your feet. You will notice sooner or later...

I never was completely pain-free in the original (silver) iGoRs, so I tried the TRIX and they seem to be the most comfortable "carbon-like" skates from Seba (except maybe the, ... Carbon ;)), no real problems so far. This doesn't help you now of course, I say this just as a reminder that not all skates are for all feet...

Jochen

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:02 pm

Cheers Jochen. My ankles are worse now. Can't even put the skates on without agony. Not just blistering as I thought, but bones are bruised too.

As I gather in the case of Igors that any initial pain only gets worse over time, looks like I'll need to sell them. Bugger! :(

Jochen
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Jochen » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:57 am

I can only repeat: Try to move the frames sideways to take away pressure from the ankles. Or take out the wedge (but if the pressure is from the bottom, that shoudln't help). But maybe let your feet recover first... Otherwise it's not much use I guess.

In my case the pain did get better, not worse, but there was still some pain in some spots after about two years. And yes, one of those spots was the inner ankle on the right, but pressure was from the side with certain movements ("outside edge"), but maybe that's a leftover from earlier skates as I still have a "strange" spot there and sometimes it hurts even now.

If you say the cuff is hurting too, just take it off for now.

But in any case: If they don't fit, they won't fit. Just don't give up too early. ;)

Oh and for the original question (Lord Lucan): I think iGoRs and TRIX are wider than Highs at the same size. You have to have a short (or wide) foot for them to fit well.

Jochen

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Thanks again, Jochen. Moving the frame won't make much difference, I've done it with previous skates. The problem seems to be with the boot shell. I have absolutely normal ankles (my physio said so) but quite flat feet. This clearly puts my ankles in a poor position for pretty much all hard-shell skates. That's pretty much why I've stuck to low-cut quad skates.
Last edited by inkh0rn on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikky2
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Mikky2 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:18 pm

See this thread for Seba frame bolt removal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38668&p=532433&hilit=seba+frame+bolts#p532433

My ankles are just about OK in hard-shell inline skates as long as I use good liners, currently I'm using Salamon liners in Seba FR1s.

I only get ankle pain when removing one of the skates after a session, hopefully that won't develop into a permanent problem.

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Cheers Mikky2. Irony is that I've been through this frame and axle bolt issue before, with a pair of brand new 2012 FR Deluxe that I had to send back to the distributors. They replaced them for me.

The red loctite's what does it. At least these came undone, unlike the FRD's!
Last edited by inkh0rn on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:32 am

Tried them on again briefly tonight, it seems that the pain is from the boots on the inside ankle bones, and that it isn't going to go...

Can't find much on this on here. Having googled ice hockey blisters, I've come across tons of people having problems with ice & roller hockey boots.

May try some of their hints. But then again, I can skate pain-free several sessions a week on quad skates...so is it really worth it? Decisions, decisions...lol ;)

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:58 am

A little too late now, but Igors generally fit a size larger than say a High or Fr boot. So, going down one size is usually a good idea. For instance, my foot is 171mm, but I'm wearing a size 41EU/27 (270mm) Igor. This does not work for a High; they would be too small, so I have to skate in a 43EU/28(280mm). My toes touch in an Igor 27, until I tighten them up and then they fit perfectly with room at the toes.

In the 2012 model of Igor, the top of the inner cuff rubs the inside and outside of my leg, resulting in loss of skin! I preemptively put bandaids on their to prevent this. I only use the 2012 for downhill; they aren't fun to skate around in.

The 2013 Igor has a totally different liner. They changed it from suede to to some kind of micro fiber or something. Now they are like a dream! I skate downhill and every other type of skating without issue. No rubbing anywhere. So, for anyone else, looking to do something other than downhill (ei, pushing), go with the 2013 model of the Igor.

Also, there is basically no break in for model of Igor. They fit how they fit when you put them on - and tighten them up - for the first time. There will be some, but it's inconsequential.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”