Creased Softboot = Ankle Pain

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

Sjijntje
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Creased Softboot = Ankle Pain

Postby Sjijntje » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:30 pm

I have a pair of K2 Power 80mm softboots that I have been using contentedly for several years and several thousand miles. Recently I have been getting a lot of pain intermittently just under my right ankle, and I worked out eventually, that as the boot flexes at the ankle, the softboot/liner bit creases, and is causing pressure against my foot. Feeling it, it seems like the foam feels a bit old and crumply in this area. When I skate with a more rigid ankle, I don't experience the pain.

Do you think it might be possible to do some sort of patchwork? Either pad it with a few layers of duck tape to strengthen it or maybe cut a big hole in it where it flexes. Or mabe just buy a new pair.

Should I be skating with a rigid ankle? The boots are obviously designed to flex a bit, so presumably this is ok. I have got a lot stronger and faster in the last couple of years, and am presumably pushing off much more firmly than in the past, which is probably why the problem has arisen now, if it is not simply the material decaing

Sjijntje
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Re: Creased Softboot = Ankle Pain

Postby Sjijntje » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:54 am

I've just realised something. I always used to thread my laces through all the loops, but I realised a few weeks ago, that the standard way seems to be to treat the last two loops as if they were a single unit and thread them together, so I thought I should try that, and that's the boot that has been hurting me. I guess I better revert to my old system, and see if that helps. It's a bit chilly and slippy looking outside, so it may be a while befor I get the chance.

Does anyone else thread the laces through both the last two loops separately? I've probably got skinny calves (or "thin-boned" as I like to refer to it) so I quite like it snug around there, but I am a bit worried I may be putting too much tension on the individual loops and they will fray or snap.

inkh0rn
Power slider
Power slider

Postby inkh0rn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:31 am

Should I be skating with a rigid ankle? The boots are obviously designed to flex a bit, so presumably this is ok. I have got a lot stronger and faster in the last couple of years, and am presumably pushing off much more firmly than in the past, which is probably why the problem has arisen now, if it is not simply the material decaing

I have K2 Moto 100's - I noticed that after skating, my ankles were sore, and that while skating, the soft boot felt like it wasn't supporting the ankle fully. I tightened the cuffs as much as I could, but I still felt strain/pain either after 10+ miles while skating, or afterwards. I don't think the 100mm/90mm wheels help - the taller wheels clearly exacerbate the less-than-ideal support. They're fine for medium distances, providing I don't try to get too far over on the edges when pushing.

Saying that, I've had to stay off inlines altogether as my ankles were getting trashed. I've stuck with low-cut speed/roller derby style quad skates for a few months now and my ankles are WAY better. I had to sell many pairs of Seba and Rollerblade hard-shelled skates over the last couple of years due to ankle issues. At times I couldn't walk on one or the other ankle. Thankfully I can still skate now, but I do miss inlines...I did manage to get 22.6mph on a downhill stretch on my quad skates; not bad with 64mm wheels, lol ;)

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:46 pm

Sjijntje, get real skates like Seba FR1, Rollerblade Twister etc.

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Yeah, I would never recommend K2. Seba, Rollerblade, or Powerslide. the latter brands have some lower end boots as well, but K2 doesn't have any higher end boots. One has to consider support - not just that of the ankle - but of the foot as well.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”