DIY skate customization

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

DIY skate customization

Postby Shaw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Golden KSJs are overly gaudy, so I decided to change the color on them.

KSJs are also expensive skates though, so I decided to use my old seba highs first as a testing platform before painting my KSJs:

So acrylic paints didn't turn out well. You can see the texture from the brush strokes, and it fell off in places because I didn't wait long enough for it to dry. Some of the masking tape I used was also of dubious quality.

Since I didn't like the effect of acrylic paint, I tried using paint pens as well:

With a few layers and a bit of care in application, the result seemed much more uniform and better than the acrylic, so I decided to use those for my KSJs. The blue paint on the front velcro strap is from a Toyo brand oil-based paint pen, whereas the light teal paint is from a Uni brand oil-based paint pen.

From here I went on and finished making my skates incredibly ugly (should've stopped myself before the teal contours), but at least I learned not to use acrylic paints.

After I finished painting them, I coated them. The left foot I used some spray-on dashboard wax because it was available at the supermarket, and the right foot I used some random art store varnish. I didn't seem to notice any particular affect from the coat either way, but hopefully they'll be slightly better protected by the stuff. I'll probably be using the dashboard wax for my KSJs, unless anybody has a better suggestion.

So from there I went on and cutomized my KSJs:
(Just kidding, the completed project actually looks semi-decent)

I'm giving the paint 48 hours to dry, and then applying a protective coat after that, so I'll have completed pictures in a couple of days.

So my highs are hideous, but I'm satisfied with the way my KSJs turned out (hopefully the paint won't flake off). In retrospect however, I should've just stuck with spray painting them. It would've been much less of a hassle for what seems to be a superior result from the pictures I've seen, but on the other hand it feels more personal to draw over the skates by hand. Another option would've just been to use sticker paper, and I've seen some people get really good results from those, but well, that's cheating.

tldr; Use spray paint or sticker paper instead.

p.s. Liners after four years of skating:

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re: DIY skate customization

Postby Bebai » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:41 am

I'm excited to se the outcome. I really hope for your sake it looks good :lol: . If you really hate gold so much, why didn't you but the trix instead?

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Yeah, I painted over the awful KSJ gold as well.

I put some info, including photos and a paint manufacturer link here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38718&p=531548&hilit=ksj+paint#p531548

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Copy of the results . . .

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:34 pm

In retrospect, I definitely should've gone with Tamiya spray paint. Another guy reported having the paint marker start to flake off, but he started skating in them within a day of application, and didn't use a protective coating. I gave mine several coats, and a couple of days to dry, as well as applying a wax coat, but alas, the paint is starting to chip even before I've skated in them.

There's really was no need to cover them with masking tape since I was using a paint marker

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Bebai wrote:I'm excited to se the outcome. I really hope for your sake it looks good :lol: . If you really hate gold so much, why didn't you but the trix instead?

Trix are significantly more expensive than KSJs in China, otherwise I probably would've bought Trix instead and gotten a carbon cuff to go with them.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”