New school

Re: Your skates

Postby Mick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi!

Click on "Post Reply"
"Upload attachment"
"Browse"
"Add File"
"Place file inline" and it'll tack it on the bottom of whatever you've typed so far in your post.

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Don't think I ever posted in here ... oh well, easily fixed!

My roller derby skates, regular Sure-Grip Rebel Invaders. They're still comfy so I plan on skating them 'till they fall apart

I use these for session skating and dance-y stuff at the mo, Beadle hockey boots on Sure-Grip XK4 DA45s

And in-progress at the mo are some old-school Brit skates - Dexters (which will make the dance skates look not-shiny, lol) and some more old-school Brit skates in the form of New English art boots which I hope to fit Aerflyte plates to ... eventually ...

My boyfriend has a couple of pairs of interesting skates, but no photos of them just yet (Bauer ice hockey boots on Playmakers and some Zeniths with Flyer 5s, proper Aussie style), and there's the rental gear, of which this is an old photo of about a third of it!

Recon I need a bigger house at this rate ...

Turbo1983
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Turbo1983 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:53 am

Thanks for that!
So heres a picture of my Turbo's. They have Bones Reds on them now too. This is my third and probably last pair, but hopefully they will last for a while! The liners are original Bauer ones, but I have another pair in mint condition stashed away. I'll probably use Supreme liners when the current ones are through and save the mint ones.

Can't wait to see what your Supremes end up looking like Lee!

Cheers,

Brad.
Attachments
photo-1.JPG

rp16v
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby rp16v » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:04 pm

thought ib better throw some fresh ones frames fitted ,wheels picked up and fitted today fill have there first roll tomorrow
also used for hockey so have my indoor mr stickys

frog.on.wheel
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby frog.on.wheel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 pm

the quads I bold today :)
i changed the wheels for the kryptonics cruise 62
they are quiet good I tried them today its cool
got decent skate for not that much

link:http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/img20120417230355.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Northern Slalomer
Lurker

Postby Northern Slalomer » Sun May 06, 2012 11:00 am

In order from first to most recent:

1) Razor Geneseys GT, my current aggressive skates acquired them just over 2 years ago
2) SEBA Carbons, minus the cuffs and three sizes too big, so striped them down for my next pair of skates.
3) SEBA FRXs they got striped down and alot of the SEBA Carbon parts attached including the deluxe frames buckles, wheels and bearings,
4) SEBA FR1 80s, i put a green colour kit on, but the green cuffs are loosening with age so i put the white ones back on again

and getting some SEBA Igors 2012 in a few weeks!

johnny88
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby johnny88 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Hey everyone!

I can't remember my first two pairs other than they were very cheap from a toy store and lasted a year or two each.

My current collection consists of;

Rollerblade TRS Downtown II Aggressive Skates http://www.flickr.com/photos/78259754@N03/7171455088/

Some sort of Airwalk recreational skate, I'm not sure on the type http://www.flickr.com/photos/78259754@N03/7171446386/

And my brand new SEBA Highs that I am currently breaking in and getting used to http://www.flickr.com/photos/78259754@N03/7171441504/

DId anyone who switched from longer wheel-based skates have a bit of difficulty getting your balance again? I found a few times I almost went over backwards.
I think the SEBAs are certainly the best skates I've owned.

kev0
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kev0 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 am

yes. usually every time you switch frames (unless you do it frequently), you'll need to readjust your balance. fortunately, you should be able to regain your balance after an hour or two, depending on how often you skate. from the picture of your SEBAs it looks like you have huge feet haha

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Tue May 15, 2012 6:02 pm

You might want to take a look at this thread. Nothing wrong with having big feet, but it does look sort of weird when the wheels are completely covered by the boot. You've also done quite a number with those Airwalk wheels, although somehow the rest of the skate looks almost brand new.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Tue May 15, 2012 8:33 pm

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Tue May 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Lee Wilson wrote:Image

What boot is that? It looks awesome. :D

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Tue May 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Lee Wilson wrote:Got all my parts ! At f**king last !!

Just need to build.

Holy Kerumba that is a nice pair of skates in the making.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Wed May 16, 2012 8:39 am

Did you have any trouble attaching the metro frames to your highs? I tried attaching Powerslide Hardcore frames to my highs once, and found that the screws just barely wouldn't fit and instead of sanding down the frames or trying to find appropriate screws I opted to buy a different pair of frames instead.

Bebai
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Bebai » Wed May 16, 2012 9:02 am

Nicccee...No interest in bigger wheel skates?

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Wed May 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Shaw, the mounting holes of the Metro frames are quite close to the diameter of the Seba bolts. So when fastening the bolts the threads of the bolts are gonna scratch a little round the frame holes but nothing too bad. Unless you swap frames more often the usage won't be an issue. I know some who file down the holes a little. But no need with them. I wonder how the 2012 Metro frames are.

Bebai, so far I am happy with 80mm. :) Though I must say I usually use a rocked setup 76-80-80-76. I can't remember when using a flat setup. Nor I know if I would get along. ;) And 90mm might make the frames too long for my size. The Highs are 40, and the Twister are 41. Still the Highs are ~1cm longer. Must be the thick toe cap.

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Wed May 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Messy pictures since I'm lazy, but here are my highs, bought in November 2009:

[big]
231mm Freestyle GTO frames for slalom
Powerslide FSK wheels in the middle, Bobo (crappy Chinese slide wheels) on the outside
I wore through the slide guard while learning cross-parallels, so I cut off pieces from a bicycle tire and superglued them onto the sides.

big
I uh, have a lot of wheels as well. Top left corner are miscellaneous wheels in various states of wear. Red wheels are 4 more Bobo wheels as well as 16 more Powerslide FSK wheels. Bottom left is a full set of Gyro Crazyballs which came with the skates. Bottom middle left bag contains more miscellaneous wheels. Bottom middle right bag has a full set of spark wheels, 12 Xuanfeng #4 wheels, a set of Xuanfeng #2 wheels, and 6 slightly worn Explore Escalade wheels. Wheels on the right are ruined wheels which I should probably throw away. All in all that makes roughly 70 wheels in new to semi-good condition, ~25 in baddish-but-still-usuable condition, and ~18 that should probably be tossed.

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Shaw, good usage of the Highs. ;) I also considered an alternative replacement for the slide pads. One pair cost 10Ôé¼. And they wear off pretty fast when doing slides. I was thinking of thick leather from a used belt, but cycling tire is also quite inventive. :)
Are those PS FSK wheels any good? What's the diameter of the hub? I see a fyling eagle liner at the top? what does it belong to?

Shaw
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Shaw » Wed May 16, 2012 6:50 pm

PS FSK wheels are alright. I don't have a ruler handy, but the hubs are slightly larger than Gyro hubs. They've survived a couple of 3-4 meter backslides without any major deformations so they're durable enough, but I haven't done any serious slides practice with them so I don't know how well they'd hold up in the long run. Slalom-wise I don't particularly like my current set of wheels, but that's probably due to the Bobos being a slide wheel and not a slalom wheel (I'm only using them because they're 72mm). I don't pay too much attention to wheel performance in any case, since I'm used to slaloming and sliding on terrible wheels.

The Flying Eagle liners are from my girlfriend's F5 skates, which are awful.

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:19 pm

My new outdoor distance skates ...

Puma Powercat football boots, Roll Line Giotto plates, Bones Reds, Lazer Blaze 70mm wheels :)

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Thu May 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Nice, are you down for the quad endurance race this Sunday?

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”