Your skates

Tips and advice on both skating gear and technique

Moderator: Traffic warden

Cedy
New school
New school

Re: Your skates

Postby Cedy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:47 am

There are simpler ways to get skating you know...

flowskate (leo)
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby flowskate (leo) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:42 am

Cedy wrote:There are simpler ways to get skating you know...

whatever do you mean??
she likes them!!
there going to be used as her freeskate
she has a sick pair of salomons customised with a kaltik flat set up[ for aggressive and her rollerblade twister 80's are in the post!!

lucky girl or what?

Herb
Power slider
Power slider

Postby Herb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:50 pm

But mounting v-type frame on UFS boot is not that brilliant idea. It tilts balance forward too much.

Anyway, i get rid of Metro and now have these:

New Rollerblade Fusion 84 with Hyper Concrete 80mm/84A wheels.

Very special for me, my first pair of skates i get for free (not like xmas gift, more like a business transaction with skateshop). They fit so well i don't need 45 degree buckle!

Barracuda
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Barracuda » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:45 pm

1 Pr Seba High 06..........My regular ride ! 8)

1 Pr Bauer Vapours.........these still give me blisters ! :x

matty
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re:

Postby matty » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:49 pm

matty wrote:Pr of salomon deflector 2's (thanks mum!) now in pieces
Pr of salomon x max 2 (my fave)
ccm vector pf6's (very painful)
mission helium 550.. oh yes!!, yet to break them in.....

had/sold on

xmax3's, enjoy them Ced!!
K2 V02 max's, shakes new best friends.....

lovely!

my how things have changed:

Bont Semi race on a 3point 100mm frame
Powerslide Evo 2010 (now yellow and black - spent all christmas with dye in the sink)
Powerslide Evo 2 (with the abligatory pink skatefreshy wheels LOL)
Salomon ST Pro's with 3vsl frames
Seba FR1 on a 4x84 seba frame

and now the remnants of:
Seba GT's
K2 Fatty Paris
Salomon 3Vsl (and lots of other FSK's)
Roces ASP100

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 am

* 6 months ago
Seba FR1

* Today
Powerslide Hardcore Evo
Salomon xmax

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 am

The sun is out, my new frames arrived today, 80 km/h here I come.

downboy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby downboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:19 am

5 x 84 mm? They won't make you go much faster, you'll just have greater stability, if you can handle the extra length that is.

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:33 am

5x90 with 84mm wheels. The steeper hills will provide the extra speed. Stability is exactly what I'm looking for. Moving to 5x80 from 4x80 was great, but I definitely want more length. That's what she said.

What setup do you have?

swmlon
Power slider
Power slider

Postby swmlon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:28 am

That's a lot of different wheels, what are those one's on the bottom (orange hub)?

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:31 pm

seba

downboy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby downboy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:28 am

ld50 wrote:
What setup do you have?

Seba high, 5 x 90 mogema frames with very worn hyper+g wheels which used to be 80 mm.

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:32 pm

Cedy wrote:seba

Yes sir. 85a.

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby ephillips » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:13 pm

ld50 wrote:
Cedy wrote:seba

Yes sir. 85a.

A 5 wheel set up is about the only thing that I've never skated in and I don't quite get the advantage (although I know that the best downhill skaters use them so understand that there must be one).

When you're cornering at speed on a hill can you really feel the extra grip over a 4x90 or 4x100 ? Or is the advantage that you're closer to the ground because of the smaller wheels? Or is part of the reason to purposely limit your top speed?

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:07 pm

ephillips wrote:I don't quite get the advantage

because
ephillips wrote:A 5 wheel set up is about the only thing that I've never skated in

Grip = surface area in contact with the ground
4x100 : more moment of inertia per wheel (mass is further away from axis of rotation), higher ride height. angle of attack against surface asperities is shallower = less friction drag
5x80 : lower moment of inertia (per wheel) which compensates in acceleration for the added weight, lower ride height which is essential to slide easily also sliding of 5 wheels is smoother/more stable (like comparing an in-line 4 with a V12 engine), heavier but lightness isn't needed here.

4x110mm is used by alpine skaters because they don't slide.

ID50: you selling your Bont frames? I kinda miss it but don't want too much length/weight.

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby ephillips » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Cedy wrote:

because
ephillips wrote:A 5 wheel set up is about the only thing that I've never skated in

Yes, that's why I'm asking the bloody question!

So is it primarily a question of ease and stability of sliding? And grip isn't equal to surface area in contact with the ground.

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm

yes, and why do you think it isn't?

ephillips
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby ephillips » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:17 am

Cedy wrote:and why do you think it isn't?

As the surface area increases the force per unit of area gets smaller, cancelling it out. In reality it's more complicated than that for various reasons - but to suggest a simple relationship, linear or otherwise is incorrect regardless. The 4x100 could therefore feasibly grip better in a corner by entering it at a higher speed.

And even then it isn't clear which setup would have a greater surface area in contact with the ground. Presumably, all other things being equal, a setup with 25% more wheels would have a similar contact area to a setup with 25% larger wheels (5x80 vs 4x100).

downboy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby downboy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:10 am

I don't understand the physics of it but I know that I can control my downhill speed a lot better with a 5 wheel set up than with a 4 x 100 mm. For straight line speed the 100 mm seem faster, but I don't find they lend themselves to much technical interest. Also, for me, the 4 x 100 set up gets rockered too quickly through carving, whereas a rocker with 5 wheels is less of a prob in terms of stability.

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:04 am

Cedy wrote:

because

Grip = surface area in contact with the ground
4x100 : more moment of inertia per wheel (mass is further away from axis of rotation), higher ride height. angle of attack against surface asperities is shallower = less friction drag
5x80 : lower moment of inertia (per wheel) which compensates in acceleration for the added weight, lower ride height which is essential to slide easily also sliding of 5 wheels is smoother/more stable (like comparing an in-line 4 with a V12 engine), heavier but lightness isn't needed here.

4x110mm is used by alpine skaters because they don't slide.

ID50: you selling your Bont frames? I kinda miss it but don't want too much length/weight.

Yes, Cedy pretty much nailed it there, as did downboy.

ephillips wrote:
Cedy wrote:

because

Yes, that's why I'm asking the bloody question!

So is it primarily a question of ease and stability of sliding? And grip isn't equal to surface area in contact with the ground.

It's mainly for stability. We could have an endless conversation about the physics of it, as we have before on many subjects, but the bottom line is that longer and lower equals less wheel wobble and better control at speed. By control, I mostly mean less unstable.

Of course, the longer one goes with the frame, the more difficult it is to corner, so you need to make a compromise between stability at speed and technical riding/cornering. For instance, Scott Peer is one of the few skaters who uses a 6x84 set up. He doesn't usually win against good downhillers who use a 5x90 frame with whatever size wheels on a course with several corners. Though, he has beat them on long, straight and fast courses with his longer frame. Not by much though. I'm sure his skiing tuck has something to do with it too. So, the 6x84 may not be faster or slower than shorter frames - and it isn't for technical skating - but it is more stable at speed.

A longer frame is also more difficult to get into a slide, but it is also more stable, in many cases, once it is in a slide. I found that a 4x80 would go into a slide easier than a 5x80 would and when the 5x80 was in a slide, it felt more stable. Again, we could debate the physics of that, but that is just what I've found. On the other hand, I've seen guys slide in a 6x84 set up and it does not look easy to get it into a slide and it didn't exactly look easy to control in the slide. However, not many people practice sliding in 6x84s, so it isn't a great example, while the rest seems to hold true.

Anyways, lower/longer=more stability. Longer=less wheel wobble. Lower=doing more (ei. cornering, drifting, sliding) with less stress on/less effort from the foot/ankle, which=more control.

Cedy wrote:ID50: you selling your Bont frames? I kinda miss it but don't want too much length/weight.

No, sorry. I plan to get an FR1 and combine it with the 5x90 and then use my Highs/Bont 5x80s for cruising/training. I'm just not sure if I want to get a skate that is exactly the length of my foot or not...so I'm stalling a bit at the moment.

I enjoy the 5x80s. These Bont Infernos are nice stiff frame (good in my case). It's a different type of skating for sure and it is slightly heavier, but I find it to be more effortless and faster - for downhill of course, but for just general skating too. They don't lend well to styles like freeskating so much though. It's a little more awkward transition onto curbs, tight cornering, etc, but also more stable jumping off of ledges, skating uneven surfaces, etc.

Return to “Technique, Tips and Equipment”