Coming back from really bad injuries

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

F-natural
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Coming back from really bad injuries

Postby F-natural » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:48 am

Hi all, I've been rec skating for years now, only really using basic skills. Last year I decided to get a pair of seba fr1's and try and improve on the basics. I only got to use the skates for a couple of months, as we all know, London's weather sucks.
I was looking forward to skating this year, but during a charity basketball match I completely ruptured the patella tendon in my left knee.

So my question is, in terms of skating, do you come back from an injury like this? And have any of you ever had a bad injury that you've come back from? At the moment I am looking at quite a few months before i'll be able to even bend my leg again so for now I'm selling my almost new 2012 fr1's on the commercial page. Maybe someone else can benefit from this.

Mikky2
Gumbie
Gumbie

Re: Coming back from really bad injuries

Postby Mikky2 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm

I once had a bad knee, mainly due to too much skating, and simply adjusted to push only with the other leg.
In general skating is kind to the knees (unlike jogging for example) so maybe you could carry on and just work around the problem.

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby Look no Skywater » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Unless you have a doctor that skates, you're probably not going to get a good answe there. Unless there is a doctor in here, you might not get a good answer either.

Skating good for knees? I'd tend to disagree. Not as bad a running, certainly but skate pushing is not a normal body movement and it does put strains on joints, especially if frames are not properly aligned.

If your body has a weakspot that is needed for skating the you are going to need to build it back up. If walking is okay then try your skates but if it aches rest and repeat until you regain some strength, just like starting over, ecept you won't have to learn the skills. Oh and wear some pads, at least until you get your strength back. Try simple skating at first and one foot gliding is always a good drill whatever your level. Don't get too low to start with. That's usually the opposite of good skating advice but it will put less through your knees.

F-natural
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby F-natural » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:17 am

Cheers guys. I just need to find out what type of repair they've given me. If they've drilled and put in titanium wire that may limit my movement when I begin to walk again. Just gonna have to be wise, and know when to call it a day. My fear is busting my knee again, because of the fact that as you say, skating is not the most natural of motions.

atleastinheaven
Power slider
Power slider

Postby atleastinheaven » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 pm

F-natural wrote: At the moment I am looking at quite a few months before i'll be able to even bend my leg again

That is the key sentence in your post. Stability and, from that, the ability to perform moves safely are dependent upon a knee bend. The injury you have sustained is worse than a tib/fib fracture. I wouldn't risk it but your personality may want you to take a risk. Good luck if you do.

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:50 pm

I think it would be good to aim for being able to skate again, but in reality you're just going to have to see how you go.

I do know that Emily was once told she could never run again and she recently completed her second marathon, so there is hope for you yet :)

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby courtartanis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Wait for the injury site to heal and all swelling to go down first....

After that it's probably better to do something like gentle swimming or cycling to rebuild the connective tissue around the joint - that'll strengthen it.
As to whether you'll be able to skate the same again? That depends from person to person and how well the injury heals.

Wear supportive gear (bandages, gaskets etc) and get pain meds ready!

I broke my left ankle in several places and ripped a few muscles at the same site. Took around 6 months for the swelling to go completely. I now require extra support when skating on that foot, but that's no issue. I just use arch supports and make my skate tighter :P
Orth surgeon x-ray'd the site several times over the space of a year and suggested unless I get drunk and jump off a wall again (to break my ankle...again) It'll be fine.
Don't let it ruin your confidence and keep your skates!

It can be a bit painful for a while, but keeping the injury site mobile will help rebuild strength.
Don't overdo it and please speak to your doctor first!
Treat it as if you are learning to skate again. Slow and steady.

F-natural
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby F-natural » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:57 pm

Great advice guys. It would be a pity to stop all together. But the truth is it probably will depend on how well I heal, and why the dr's say.

Court how high was the wall? And you weren't drunk and on skates by any chance??

Cheers.

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby courtartanis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:56 pm

F-natural wrote:Great advice guys. It would be a pity to stop all together. But the truth is it probably will depend on how well I heal, and why the dr's say.

Court how high was the wall? And you weren't drunk and on skates by any chance??

Cheers.

About 10ft and no I wasn't unfortunately, just drunk and stupid :mrgreen:

Return to “General skating”