Terra firma

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Terra firma

Postby kowalski » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 am

I'm really interested to know a little about how stable you end up with experience. Already I find many things that would have toppled me in my earlier weeks skating now cause on minor wobbles. Partly because I have less of a panic when something unexpected happens.

How long have you been skating?
How regularly do you fall when street skating?

Peace,

kowalski

Domsablos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Re: Terra firma

Postby Domsablos » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:05 am

It depends on the skater obviously, but after a while you tend not to fall at all. I rarely fall even when playing hockey. You can pull off some pretty gravity deifying stunts instead of falling when you get comfortable especially at speed. I've been skating pretty regularly for about 5 years.

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 pm

I don't fall often, if I do it's usually 'cause of getting tripped up by a random flailing kid ... like Domsablos said, you end up coping with avoiding falling after a while; I think it took me a year of solid skating 8 to 16 hours a week to be that steady on my feet though

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:10 pm

I have been skating actively since 2008. I never fall. Unless I do something new, or something does me, out of my comfort zone. And then I hit the ground only a few times till my senses get used to the new. :) So like with everything, the more you practice the better you'll get at it.

My advice, if you do something new that very likely will end in a fall do it slow. Once you've managed to do it slow you can start increasing the pace.

Return to “General skating”