Master-skate

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Master-skate

Postby kowalski » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:06 pm

I will use this thread to document some of my experiences as I try to master skating, it will probably get pretty self-indulgent at times ... hence the title.

Peace,

kowalski
Last edited by kowalski on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kowalski » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 pm

I have been skating for about 4 weeks, since moving to Barcelona for the autumn. I had a week of no skating mixed in there, due to pain and being in icy Oslo.

I'm motivated by urban blading videos and want to improve. When I go out I spend most of the time practising specific aspects of skating. Today I spent a little time practising skating backwards and transitions and a couple of minutes on T-stopping before moving on to crossovers. I was working on crossovers the last time I was out too.

Today I started practising left over right foot, as this is my weaker side and continued till I had a comparable fluency to my preferred right over left crossover. This enabled me to move on from slow small circles and pick up a little speed.

It was quickly obvious that I'm not ready for the tight switching required for a figure 8. Instead I began to skate along the wide beach path using only alternating crossovers and continued this for about 45 minutes. At the end I could do both long deep powerful strokes to either side swinging across the whole path width or sharp tight sprint strokes.

I felt that the shorter strokes really helped me to feel the rhythm and improve my timing and coordination, while the longer strokes helped me with my balance. I learned a lot about weight distribution and switching edges too.

Somewhere in all the fun I got caught in a spin, which I tried to turn into a spin-stop but got a little mixed up and smashed my chin into the ground as I didn't get my hands down quick enough. That shook me a lot. Spin-Stop. Chin-Stop. Easily confused!

I gave myself a few seconds, then skated on. Important not to end on a painful accident, I think, keeps the fear at bay.

At the end of my skate I turned out my toes (which reading here had informed me was equivalent to a gear change in cycling) and sprinted back home. I found that I was able to skate a lot faster and with much more control after the work I had done, which was both satisfying and encouraging.

Peace,

kowalski

logicalguy
Wannabe
Wannabe

Re: Master-skate

Postby logicalguy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 pm

Why don't you use a dedicated blog site?

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kowalski » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 am

I know! What was I thinking to use a dedicated skate site to post on skating? That makes no sense.

Your username is an hilarious.

Peace,

kowalski
Last edited by kowalski on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Backhandslaptalk

Postby kowalski » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:12 am

Did a full hour of backwards skating this morning.

Watched a few videos but this is the one that really helped things click for me - Have a look at my leg first.

Sweeping one leg out and then back towards the path of the other, switching edges, allowing the leading foot to cross slightly, swinging back out, then repeating with the other leg leading and so on.

I'm not lifting my feet try, the way he does in the video, just snaking them across each others paths.

I found a flat secluded spot with large reflective windows where I can see what my feet are up to and look where I am going at the same time. This helped a bunch, once I stop looking down balance improves.

After I stopped clipping my heel and toe I moved away from the mirrored glass to concentrate more on where I was going and trying to control that a bit too.

At the end, I can flow that move continuously if occasionally still clumsily. It really started to come together when I was relaxed enough that I wasn't going to get tangled up. Once I reached this point I stopped thinking about how to do it and just started doing it and gaining speed too!

So, I can go backwards a bit. Definitely don't know how to go backwards, just can. Hopefully a couple more sessions should get me a bit neater so I can start to step into the crossover.

To finish - 10 minutes of crossovers at a good pace alternating legs each stride. A couple of good hard sprints the length of the beach to get the heart and lungs fired up.

I'm in Oslo with my girl 14 days from now. She hasn't seen me skate yet. A strong motivation is to be skilled enough to look at least as sexy on skates as I am off them by then.

Vanity though shallow in itself can lead to great things.

Shouldn't be a problem if I keep putting the work in and progressing like this.

Peace,

kowalski

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Red Hot Steppers

Postby kowalski » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm skating every day now, still with some ankle pain.

I changed the way I strap my boots, which helps to a degree. I use a lot of 5% ibuprofen gel, which helps to a degree. I do some other things, which help to a degree. But, alas, that is only about 6 or 7 degrees in total.

If my pain were an angle, it definitely cannot be a right angle, it is certainly acute and ... I ... it is more than 7, that is the point.

Last evening I saw one person teaching another to skate. The teacher was transitioning almost constantly as they moved around the student to observe, advise and sometimes catch them. All very fluid. I watched a while trying to pick out where and when weight was being shifted.

Really moving forwards with going backwards now. I can propel myself in a few different ways, pick up a bit of speed, steer around things and turn corners. No backwards crossover.

No backwards crossover ... yet. Even though I have developed a few different strides for skating backwards
I still don't really understand how I propel myself backwards.  I just push and switch weight when it feels right and can't think too much about it or it all starts to go wrong.  So any attempt at lifting and crossing my legs is just a tangle of limbs as wheels stick into the concrete sideways and flip me about.

With forward crossovers I practice them in the quiet Barceloneta streets, late at night, a little drunk, in grey adidas pumps. Odd behaviour but I believe it has helped me learn.

I will have to find somewhere I can practice backwards walking crossovers too, which should help me work out what is actually happening down there. An extremely secluded spot is required because that is going to look pretty weird.

Peace,

kowalski

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Stop it and tidy up

Postby kowalski » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:41 am

After yesterday's practice I went for a long ride down the coast. It was mostly fun with sprinkles of downhill-fear inspired frustration. I need any slope to be not that steep or long, be very  smooth and wide, have a nice run off and for there to be no one around.

Three reasons for this:
1. I don't carve well
2. My braking is weak and inconsistent
3. Vanity

Dealing with 1 and 2 will now be the focus of my daily training hour. Backwards skating will be temporarily reduced to about 20 minutes a day.

As for 3, vanity keeps me looking hot.

Peace,

kowalski

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Stop starting and start stopping

Postby kowalski » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:49 am

Just after my last post I was out skating, fell over and cracked a rib. I landed on a hard leather heart shaped purse in the top pocket of my jacket.

That kept me out of action for a few weeks. After that I was in icy Oslo for a while and then returned to an equally as icy Manchester; which kept me out of action a few weeks more.

In the interim I ordered a pair of Ezeefits to help with the ankle bone pain I'd been having. They arrived a couple of days ago just as the weather improved.

I skated to work on my last two days there ever. They are pretty good. They reduce the stabbing, tearing pain in my left ankle to a meer discomfort.

Now, however, my right ankle is beginning to hurt in the exact same place. This is pretty frustrating because my right ankle had always been completely pain free.

When I skate today I will wear Ezeefits on both feet. Hopefully they will help just the same on the other ankle. I'm also going to buy some clear clouds. Discomfort is better than pain, but I'd like to feel genuinely comfortable in my boots.

Peace,

kowalski

John_London
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby John_London » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 pm

If the ankles hurt so much it sounds like you need some different skates.

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kowalski » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:48 pm

Yes. I have begun to think the same thing, John. Maybe I have unusual ankles?

I removed the liner of my boot the other day and found the following.

When my foot is central to the boot:
1. If I lean my ankle out till it touches the shell, the shell only makes contact with my ankle at the to of the cuff.
2. If I lean my ankle in till it touches the shell, the shell makes contact with the ball of my ankle.
3. When my ankle is vertical the ball of my ankle bone is just a couple of millimetres away from the shell.

I also had my friend do the same, the balls of his ankles did not make contact neither inside nor out.

Also, if I draw a line between the inside of my heel and the inside of my ankle, the ankle bone protrudes about 1cm beyond this line. My friend's ankle bone does not protrude anywhere near as much.

I read here that others have had problems with Rollerblade's boots and their ankles.

Peace,

kowalski

kowalski
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby kowalski » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks to azumi's advice in my Driller Killer thread I now have comfortable boots. Hoorah!

I've been travelling around Spain for the last few weeks skating wherever possible. This has been all just skating for fun. Zipping along beaches, past Roman ruins and through beautiful city parks. It has been great and I am much steadier on my feet now. However, in all this fun I haven't been practicing and improving at the essential skills. So today I will head out and spend a little of my time practicing stopping, jumping and skating backwards.

Because of this, today will probably be the first day I have fallen while skating since November (not because I'm good, just because I haven't skated much and haven't been pushing myself when I have skated). I am fully padded up and ready to hit the ground.

Peace,

kowalski

azumi
New school
New school

Postby azumi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Sounds like fun in Spain. :) Can you show some pictures? Would be cool.

I know what you mean, without the proper gear (padding) you won't push yourself to the limits just stick to what you know. And stagnation is never good.

take care there,

Return to “General skating”