Music to skate to

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Music to skate to

Postby courtartanis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:16 am

What kind of music do you all prefer to listen to (If anything) whilst you skate?

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Re: Music to skate to

Postby Wild Phil » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:13 am

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby courtartanis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Cool :) How about individually if any of you use an ipod whilst you fitness skate?
(That's what i meant, guess i worded it wrong - thanks anyway though :mrgreen: )

mit
New school
New school

Postby mit » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Isn't that just asking what our tastes in music are? Listen to music that you like. Or don't listen to music at all and enjoy the sound of the wind rushing past you :)

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby courtartanis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Most definately not....as most people have several tastes.

It was a curious question to see if people here have specific tastes in music whilst they are skating.

Something fast paced? Relaxing? Loud? Powerful?

I dunno, I didnt think it'd be this difficult to answer

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:53 pm

It depends on my mood, the weather, which skates I'm riding, where I'm skating, how far I'm skating etc etc

Sparky
New school
New school

Postby Sparky » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:55 pm

F8ck me that site needs updating.

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Sparky wrote:

F8ck me that site needs updating.

Hell yeah, I mean when was the last time you saw this guy on a skate?

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:20 am

courtartanis wrote:Something fast paced? Relaxing? Loud? Powerful?

Yes.

The only requirement is it's got to be dancey as far as I'm concerned, so decent beats and rhythms. Drum & Bass, House, RnB, Hip Hop, Grime, Garage, Latin and the like.

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby courtartanis » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:49 am

Mick wrote:
courtartanis wrote:Something fast paced? Relaxing? Loud? Powerful?

Yes.

The only requirement is it's got to be dancey as far as I'm concerned, so decent beats and rhythms. Drum & Bass, House, RnB, Hip Hop, Grime, Garage, Latin and the like.

Nice. I'm for a bit of DnB or hard dance :D
Although sometimes speedmetal or something funky

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:22 am

Funky works. I'll pass on the metal though, speed or otherwise :) It's those straight, square rhythms which fail to engage for me, I need syncopation. I know others like that sort of thing to skate to though.

To a certain extent I agree with Mit about it being a matter of musical taste, but I also think it's a question of whether you are just listening to music you like while you're doing something and in this case it happens to be skating, or whether you want to skate to the music. For me it's the latter and the funkier more syncopated rhythms seem to fit the skating action better, but maybe that's just me.

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby courtartanis » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:54 am

Mick wrote:Funky works. I'll pass on the metal though, speed or otherwise :) It's those straight, square rhythms which fail to engage for me, I need syncopation. I know others like that sort of thing to skate to though.

To a certain extent I agree with Mit about it being a matter of musical taste, but I also think it's a question of whether you are just listening to music you like while you're doing something and in this case it happens to be skating, or whether you want to skate to the music. For me it's the latter and the funkier more syncopated rhythms seem to fit the skating action better, but maybe that's just me.

That's exactly what i meant Mick :)

Some of my musical tastes just don't cut it when skating, which is why i wondered what people's preferences were.
For example, i know people that loathe Dance music - unless they are doing some kind of physical activity whilst they listen to it, so i think it would be incorrect to simply ask one's music taste and automatically think they will enjoy listening to it during every activity they engage in.

I like Queen, but it just doesn't fit when skating or cycling. It seems to detract from the high pace. Make sense?

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:00 pm

courtartanis wrote:Make sense?

Absolutely! When I'm skating the rhythm of the music is actually far more important than whether I like it or not.

Mick
New school
New school

Postby Mick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:10 pm

courtartanis wrote:Make sense?

Absolutely! When I'm skating the rhythm of the music is actually far more important than whether I like it or not.

courtartanis wrote:... Queen, but it just doesn't fit when skating...

Exactly. A classic staple for inappropriate music at leisure centre roller discos which saps the will to skate. They just don't get it.

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby courtartanis » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Mick wrote:Exactly. A classic staple for inappropriate music at leisure centre roller discos which saps the will to skate. They just don't get it.

Like being at a nightclub and Michael Jackson - Earth Song comes on xD

(Mit, this is not an attack on you by the way.....i think you misunderstood what i was asking initially is all :D)

Although, having said that - i rollerskated today for the first time in 8 years. I played "Noisecontrollers - Give me bass" - a hardstyle number. (something i'd normally listen to whilst mincing about at the ice rinks)

Needless to say, i faceplanted the tarmac fairly quickly due to being out of practice and pumped by the beat! Bad choice for a maiden voyage i think....

So perhaps it could have the opposite effect? (I think i'm getting too deep now)

Quadster
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Quadster » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Mick wrote:it's those straight, square rhythms which fail to engage for me ...

Preach!

Mick wrote:I need syncopation

Real Talk!

(I'm practising my urban lingo - lol) :mrgreen:

Torbaydos
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby Torbaydos » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:09 am

Interested in what metal you would listen to Courtainis? Dragonforce is too much, meshuggah is impossible to keep a rhythm to, in flames is the same pace but too samey. Nin too many slow songs. Hmm... must develop playlist

If I want to do an endurance session I find the opposite to pumping music is best, going round with Ludovico Einaudi keeps my HR down. (Then cradle of filth for a break)

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:11 am

Sabretooth (a psytrance-metal mix) works for that kinda thing. They have 3 albums to go through ...

courtartanis
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby courtartanis » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am

Torbaydos wrote:Interested in what metal you would listen to Courtainis? Dragonforce is too much, meshuggah is impossible to keep a rhythm to, in flames is the same pace but too samey. Nin too many slow songs. Hmm... must develop playlist

If I want to do an endurance session I find the opposite to pumping music is best, going round with Ludovico Einaudi keeps my HR down. (Then cradle of filth for a break)

Dragonforce are always too much.....lol

Meshuggah are ok and i've always liked Inflames, although i'm not sure i'd listen to them for fitness purposes.
Arch enemy, CoB, Rammstein(?), Devildriver - I think i'd be here forever if i was to list all the artists. Judas Priest, although they have a habit of making you bounce and that could be dangerous oO

HK47 wrote:Sabretooth (a psytrance-metal mix) works for that kinda thing. They have 3 albums to go through ...

I don't mind Psytrance. Nothing says MOTIVATE! Like dark, dirty hippy drum music

HK47
Power slider
Power slider

Postby HK47 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:54 pm

courtartanis wrote:I don't mind Psytrance. Nothing says MOTIVATE! Like dark, dirty hippy drum music
Yup. Also, some proper old-school Jungle works for that, too.

Return to “General skating”