ruptured achilles

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

higgy
Gumbie
Gumbie
Location: 2/3's out from the centre of the Milky way, Earth, uk leicester, originally from Andromeda Galaxy

ruptured achilles

Postby higgy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:58 am

hey peeps! jus wanted to know if anyone on here has ruptured their achilles in the passed & how long it took them to get back to inline skating.

its been about 3 months for me since i did it so i aint skated & want to start as sooon as!

i know i will need a bit more time to strengthen that area of my leg but how long do u think il be back blading.

thanx

Phil
Old school
Old school

Re: ruptured achilles

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:27 am

probably best to ask a physiotherapist, I certainly wouldn't take advise over the internet on this sort of thing.

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby JasonN » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:28 am

Hey Higgy! Was gonna drop you a line to see how you were.

Sounds like you are on the mend and hope to see you on your skates soon. But as mentioned, its probably best to take medical advice first. Maybe the physio could give you some exercises to do to get you ready for skating.

Good Luck!

GuinnessGirl
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby GuinnessGirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:42 am

definitely take medical advice, another skater has had this injury and the surgery but it then re-ruptured so be careful.

higgy
Gumbie
Gumbie
Location: 2/3's out from the centre of the Milky way, Earth, uk leicester, originally from Andromeda Galaxy

Postby higgy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:13 am

Phil wrote:probably best to ask a physiotherapist, I certainly wouldn't take advise over the internet on this sort of thing.

thanx for that phil, of course ur rite, as it would be silly to take advice of anyone that has gone through it on the net or even real life but it
would be nice to hear their story for hope & inspiration cos this situation jus sucks! lol TC

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:38 am

higgy wrote:cos this situation jus sucks! lol TC

heh, tell me about it, I haven't skated for almost 2 years thanks to injury issues (nothing to do with ankles) and I'm currently doped up on valium and other pain killers thanks to a trapped nerve in my back but hey at least the drugs are keeping me happy ;)

higgy
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby higgy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:57 am

Phil wrote:
higgy wrote:cos this situation jus sucks! lol TC

heh, tell me about it, I haven't skated for almost 2 years thanks to injury issues (nothing to do with ankles) and I'm currently doped up on valium and other pain killers thanks to a trapped nerve in my back but hey at least the drugs are keeping me happy ;)

LOL, na phil thats terrible, i feel for ya mate, i jus hope shit gets better for u so u can start skating soon as!
take time wid dem pills! lol

higgy
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby higgy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:10 am

GuinnessGirl wrote:definitely take medical advice, another skater has had this injury and the surgery but it then re-ruptured so be careful.

thanx for that guinnessgirl, sorry to hear about ur friend, thats jus sad, this injury jus makes u crippled so to go through all that then it happening again
is jus devastating! did ur friend rupture his achilles the first or second time when he was skating?

danny
Power slider
Power slider

Postby danny » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:10 pm

I had this injury 20 years ago playing Badminton , so you have had surgery to re-connect the achilles & have a full leg plaster with your foot set straight down to the ball of your foot ?
You will require a lot of physio to stretch the tendon back to normal and build up the muscle wastage to your calf & quad , I found going to a swimming pool then stand as deep as your shoulders to try calf raises , each time you go to the pool try to move to shallower water , it took me a year to get back to playing Badminton , professional footballers recover in 7 or 8 months with intensive personal physiotherapy , when I skate now the biggest problem is the scar tissue from the operation , I use a compeed plaster otherwise skating backwards rips the scar tissue open .
I also now can call my scar a David Beckham tatto :-)

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:36 am

snapped tendons are worse than bones at healing! you will be looking at the best part of a year. Physio is important so make sure you keep it up, and they always recommend swimming for helping things heal.

higgy
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby higgy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:38 pm

danny wrote:I had this injury 20 years ago playing Badminton , so you have had surgery to re-connect the Achilles & have a full leg plaster with your foot set straight down to the ball of your foot ?
You will require a lot of physio to stretch the tendon back to normal and build up the muscle wastage to your calf & quad , I found going to a swimming pool then stand as deep as your shoulders to try calf raises , each time you go to the pool try to move to shallower water , it took me a year to get back to playing Badminton , professional footballers recover in 7 or 8 months with intensive personal physiotherapy , when I skate now the biggest problem is the scar tissue from the operation , I use a compeed plaster otherwise skating backwards rips the scar tissue open .
I also now can call my scar a David Beckham tatto :-)

lol thanx for that danny, i didnt have surgery, i had to wear a special boot up to my knee for two months 24/7 & let it heal naturally (thats what they do in England now unless ur young). ive been cycling & doing some quads work & stretches, im gonna start going to the swimming pool from next week! thanx for telling me how u did it cos i didnt know. i thought that after a couple of years the scar tissue gets replaced by normal tissue? thanx!

higgy
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby higgy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:45 pm

NS Jason wrote:snapped tendons are worse than bones at healing! you will be looking at the best part of a year. Physio is important so make sure you keep it up, and they always recommend swimming for helping things heal.

thanx for the reply Jason, im gonna start going to the pool from next week so...
i maybe going to the battle uk in notts so maybe see u there if ur going!

Return to “General skating”