Good Slalom Spots in Paris?

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Good Slalom Spots in Paris?

Postby atlsk8r » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

I'll be in Paris for a week in April and thought about bringing my skates.

Anyone familiar with some good slalom spots in Paris? I've heard about the Louvre but would appreciate any other recommendations y'all might have.

Also, is the Friday Night Skate fun? In like a not-overly-social way?

Thanks.

lurch
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Re: Good Slalom Spots in Paris?

Postby lurch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:06 pm

The only other spot I'm familiar with is the pedestrianized bridge immediately adjacent to the front door of the Notre Dame Cathederal. Not sure why people go there, it's constantly overrun with blithe tourists, but there are dots marked out and often someone is there.

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

Les Invalides (concrete area some 500 yrds from the building, on your right as you look at it) for slalom practice.

Notre Dame (bridge on the right as you look at it), Trocadero (road at the top, watch out for skaters stair-rinding and jumping) and Louvre (open square to the north, through the gates) (all in that order) for showing off infront of tourists.

FNF is slow and chilled for any competent skater.

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks guys!

Notre Dame and Louvre both should be pretty short skates from where I'm staying. I'd like to try the other spots, but any slaloming would probably only be in the early morning before sightseeing begins.

Yeah, I assumed FNF would be pretty slow given its size and the estimated 3 hour duration. I didn't really phrase my question well.

Retry: Is it reasonable and entertaining to tag along in obscurity for one whom large social crowds might otherwise send rocking in a corner, sucking his thumb?

ManicStar
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ManicStar » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:30 pm

atlsk8r wrote:Retry: Is it reasonable and entertaining to tag along in obscurity for one whom large social crowds might otherwise send rocking in a corner, sucking his thumb?

Easily. It's very much a stop-start affair though, as they stop often for quite long periods to let the back catch up. It's okay, not as fun as the London skates IMHO. Good downhills though.

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 pm

ManicStar wrote:Easily. It's very much a stop-start affair though, as they stop often for quite long periods to let the back catch up. It's okay, not as fun as the London skates IMHO. Good downhills though.

Cool. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Yeah, I'd like to try the London skates sometime if I ever make it to the UK. Had I heard about your April slalom weekend event earlier, I'd have booked a longer trip and taken the train to London for a couple of days.

Phil
Old school
Old school

Postby Phil » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm

I've not skated the Louvre, I wouldn't bother with the Trocadero* as it's pretty rough and horrid compared to the other skate spots and I'm not sure if anyone slaloms there when there isn't a competition. Les Invalides is pretty awesome as is Notre Dame. I've only skated the bridge there at night and you won't get hassled by tourists at that time, but I've been told that the police chase skaters away from that spot now although I was told that warning when I was skating there and had no issues.

When I've been walking around I've spotted quite a few bridges with smooth tarmac that are closed off to cars and have slalom dots on them, so keep an eye out for those.

I'd say have a go on the Friday skate, just to experience what it's like to be in such a large street skate if you haven't before, Paris is certainly the largest (in terms of number of people) street skate I've been on.

* doh! I've just remembered that the steps are marble and theres a huge really smooth platform at the bottom where everyone does the stair rides/jumps [/edit]

Tanya G
New school
New school

Postby Tanya G » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Phil wrote: I'd say have a go on the Friday skate, just to experience what it's like to be in such a large street skate if you haven't before, Paris is certainly the largest (in terms of number of people) street skate I've been on.

Don't worry you can easily get lost in the skate or stand out and chat to lots of people. Really, it is like any other social situation you can either take part or stand on the side lines... you decide!

No-one will really care which category you fall into, as long as you can skate and aren't dangerous.

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Phil wrote:Les Invalides is pretty awesome as is Notre Dame. I've only skated the bridge there at night and you won't get hassled by tourists at that time, but I've been told that the police chase skaters away from that spot now although I was told that warning when I was skating there and had no issues.[/edit]

Sweet. Sounds like Notre Dam might be the perfect slalom spot for me. Provided the cops leave me alone in the early morning. Les Invalides sounds cool too, so maybe I'll make a special trek one morning

Tanya G wrote:Don't worry you can easily get lost in the skate or stand out and chat to lots of people. Really, it is like any other social situation you can either take part or stand on the side lines... you decide!

No-one will really care which category you fall into, as long as you can skate and aren't dangerous.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the skating bit. And I'm sure I'll do fine with the social bit. I just wanted to make sure you guys thought FNF was worth it, from a skating point (not just a social point), as I'd be reserving a whole night of a short vacation for it. Sounds like the concensus is "yes". Coming from a country (US) where skating is no longer popular, it'll be nice to see that many riders on the street at one time.

Thanks again for the advice.

ManicStar
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ManicStar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:28 pm

atlsk8r wrote:Sweet. Sounds like Notre Dam might be the perfect slalom spot for me. Provided the cops leave me alone in the early morning. Les Invalides sounds cool too, so maybe I'll make a special trek one morning

I think Les Invalides is worth it. I didn't get a chance to stop and slalom there when I was last there, because we we passing through skate sightseeing, but from what I remember it was a lovely spot.

Are you going to the PSWC as well, or is this your only Paris trip this year?

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:18 pm

ManicStar wrote:
atlsk8r wrote:Sweet. Sounds like Notre Dam might be the perfect slalom spot for me. Provided the cops leave me alone in the early morning. Les Invalides sounds cool too, so maybe I'll make a special trek one morning

I think Les Invalides is worth it. I didn't get a chance to stop and slalom there when I was last there, because we we passing through skate sightseeing, but from what I remember it was a lovely spot.

Are you going to the PSWC as well, or is this your only Paris trip this year?

Yeah, Les Invalides sounds like an interesting spot. Hopefully I'll get a chance to make it over there one morning, but as this is not really a skating vacation, I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to make it to PSWC this year, as I'm already running short of vacation and it's only the first of March. Anyway, if I can make it back to Europe this summer for a comp, I'd probably choose SkateLondon, because it sounds like a lot of fun and (hopefully) less pressured environment. SkateLodon's a long-shot too, though, as I probably need to dedicate remaining money/time for the US series of slalom events instead.

From y'all's information, though, I'm really excited about trying out some of the Paris slalom spots. I've been to Paris several times, but not in about 15 years, so it will be nice to revisit as well.

Thanks.

steph
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby steph » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:32 pm

atlsk8r wrote: And I'm sure I'll do fine with the social bit. I just wanted to make sure you guys thought FNF was worth it, from a skating point (not just a social point), as I'd be reserving a whole night of a short
Even if it's a tenth of the size than it was the last time I went (2005 IIRC) it's still worth going just for the spectacle and the size. It's crazy bonkers big.

Jochen
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby Jochen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:56 pm

You could also try Palais Royal, but I'm not sure how crowded it is. But I'm sure there are cone markings.

Edit: I just saw that "Louvre" and "Palais Royal" might be the same place.

Jochen

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.

Postby Acidedge » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:22 pm

Jochen wrote:Edit: I just saw that "Louvre" and "Palais Royal" might be the same place.

They are. That's what I meant by "the open square to the north". I couldn't remember the name.

alfathor
Wannabe
Wannabe

Postby alfathor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 am

To find slalom spots in Paris and France, click on the blue dots here. It's in french but is should help you:
http://www.rollerenligne.com/spots.php?id_rubriques=12

Double click to zoom.

Regards.

Return to “General skating”