General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

Joe
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Seba fr1 alternative boot

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Hey

I have a pair of seba fr1s that are really painful (try before you buy). Anyway I heard somewhere that you can put different socks in them. Has anyone tried this and can you guys recommend any possibilities??

Thanks

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Re: Seba fr1 alternative boot

Postby ld50 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:45 am

Joe wrote:Hey

I have a pair of seba fr1s that are really painful (try before you buy). Anyway I heard somewhere that you can put different socks in them. Has anyone tried this and can you guys recommend any possibilities??

Thanks

How much skating have you done in them? The liners take quite some time to fully break in. My Seba Highs were painful in some way for about a month. First, tight and somewhat painful everywhere and then just digging in in certain in spots. Now, they're almost perfect. Though, I would almost like them to be just ever so slightly tighter...

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Postby Bella83 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:18 am

Vodka bottles over night worked for a few people.
Have you tried with and without the wedges?

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:10 am

Vodka bottles? lol I guess that would stretch out part of the liner at least.

Joe
Skate Patrol
Skate Patrol

Postby Joe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm

Not long, I was losing skin so switched back to my crossmax. Will try again. But anyway, are there any alternative linners?

atlsk8r
Beach bum
Beach bum

Postby atlsk8r » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Joe wrote:Not long, I was losing skin so switched back to my crossmax. Will try again. But anyway, are there any alternative linners?

I'd worry that, if you are blistering, you might have gotten slightly too large a size instead of too small a size.

Blister means foot movement. Foot movement means gaps between liner and foot. At least for Seba Highs, the idea is generally to buy the smallest boot both feet can physically fit in, lengthwise (I guess there may need to be some compromise here if your foot is extra-wide). This should help ensure the thick, stiff liner presses against all parts of your foot, including the depressions, when you first put them on. Which is why, until the liner compresses around the bumpy parts of your foot (takes about 1 month because the liner is so stiff), the boots hurt like !@#$ hell.

How did you choose what size Seba to buy? Did you go through the Seba-recommended process of carefully measuring your feet in millimeters and using the chart? Note that shoe size or current skate size has little bearing on the proper Seba size, so you should disregard them. I also worry that trying on the skates beforehand purchasing might not be a good idea because, unless you are used to Seba break-in, you will probably buy too large a size. From what I hear, most people buy too large a size anyway. I know I did until I started wearing Sebas.

Note that, after break-in, the fit is generally wonderful/snug/comfy.

ld50
Power slider
Power slider

Postby ld50 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 am

Seems very strange that you'd be losing skin, just as atlsk8r was saying. I'm curious to know how long your foot is and what size of boot you are using. I would agree, trying a Seba boot on before hand probably isn't the greatest of ideas, since you can't judge its fit until weeks later. There's probably no way (or I would have taken much longer to decide) that I would have bought Seba Highs if I tried them on first. I was even worried after a few weeks of skating.

Seba FR size chart (Universkate cross referenced with Proline):

UK6 / EU39 / 25.5-----------> 253
UK6.5 / EU40 / 26-----------> 261
UK7 / EU41 / 27-----------> 265
UK8 / EU42 / 27.5-----------> 270
UK9 / EU43 / 28-----------> 279
UK9.5 / EU44 / 28.5-----------> 285
UK10 / EU45 / 29-----------> 294
UK11 / EU46 / 30-----------> 300
UK12 / EU47 / 30,5-----------> 306

JasonN
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby JasonN » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:19 pm

I have a pair of FR1's that I have been skating in for a year and recently started hurting - a lot.

Seems the liners compress to the point where they are no longer soft. also the shape of the boot is wrong under where the lower strap comes over your foot, and the plastic digs in, does the same on my skates and my girlfriend's smaller FR1's. Am considering using heat to try and reshape it.

My view of Seba skates has rolled downhill.

NS Jason
Power slider
Power slider

Postby NS Jason » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Something I found that helped was to wear them while I was sat in front of the tv, it still helps mould them and as you arent actually skating in them, doesnt hurt your feet as much. Only really worth doing if they are really really new though

Return to “General skating”