Any Bristol skaters?

General chat from around the world

Moderator: Traffic warden

blupu
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:06 pm
Location: Bristol

Any Bristol skaters?

Postby blupu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:43 pm

I've been a north surrey commuter to hyde park for the past few years, but come September I'm moving to Bristol.... Just wondered if there's a similar scene anywhere there, or any decent flat surfaces people could recommend to me to get a few miles in for fitness?

Many thanks!

Zoe :0]

Look no Skywater
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden
Posts: 7825
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: West Punjab (Southall)

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby Look no Skywater » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:59 pm

There's Bristol to Bath Path if you want to get some exercise. It's pretty skateable.

peterm
Power slider
Power slider
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:40 am

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby peterm » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:02 pm

You might be interested in this
https://www.goskyride.com/location/bath/

and this
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=132318783465531

So plenty going on in that area

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Posts: 8376
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:48 am
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.
Contact:

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby Acidedge » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Skate Bristol (see FB page here) is the local skate school/club. There's also a few old skool NottinghamSkaters down in Brizzol that skate regularly: PM me if you want contact details.

blupu
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:06 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby blupu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Ahh that's brilliant, I'll look into all of those they sound great - thank you!!

Also are there decent skate shops down there or should I stock up on some wheels & bearings before I go? :?

Acidedge
Old school
Old school
Posts: 8376
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:48 am
Location: Nottingham. That's "north" for you southern chimps.
Contact:

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby Acidedge » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:15 pm

blupu wrote:Ahh that's brilliant, I'll look into all of those they sound great - thank you!!

Also are there decent skate shops down there or should I stock up on some wheels & bearings before I go? :?


No idea about Bristol but there's Proline Skates who have a shop (as well as an online store) in Cardiff, which isn't that far away.

Phil
Old school
Old school
Posts: 7925
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Stuck between 2 cones
Contact:

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:13 pm

There are a few skate shops in Bristol, but none of them are fantastic. You're better off heading over to proline

Frodo
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:21 am

Acidedge wrote: There's also a few old skool NottinghamSkaters down in Brizzol


Well, me, my flatmate and one other (though he's moving away soon)...

Not skating regularly at the mo, but would like to. Skate Bristol don't have a regular meet up session but do offer lessons if you need them and skate to bath occasionally. They also have links with rollerhockey clubs across the city. There's a new Roller Derby team that's just started (Bristol Harbour Harlots) and a group of skaters just north of the city who meet once a week to skate indoors (Thornbury Skate) and in the summer head out over the Severn Bridge which is beautiful!

So not a regular scene, but in the 9 months I've been down here I have found various pockets of stuff going on. Bristol itself isn't great to get around on on skates (big hills and poor surfaces) but everyone's dead friendly.

I'm all for trying to get some more regular meet ups happening, so feel free to give me a shout when you get down here!

blupu
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:06 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby blupu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:59 am

Acidedge wrote:Proline Skates


Phil wrote:proline


Cheers! (y)

Frodo wrote:Skate Bristol don't have a regular meet up session but do offer lessons if you need them and skate to bath occasionally. They also have links with rollerhockey clubs across the city. There's a new Roller Derby team that's just started (Bristol Harbour Harlots) and a group of skaters just north of the city who meet once a week to skate indoors (Thornbury Skate) and in the summer head out over the Severn Bridge which is beautiful!

So not a regular scene, but in the 9 months I've been down here I have found various pockets of stuff going on. Bristol itself isn't great to get around on on skates (big hills and poor surfaces) but everyone's dead friendly.

I'm all for trying to get some more regular meet ups happening, so feel free to give me a shout when you get down here!


Oooooh excellent, I definitely will - thanks Frodo! :lol: Everything sounds great, although is the roller derby stuff on quads? (....and quite rough?! lol )

Frodo
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:08 pm

blupu wrote: is the roller derby stuff on quads? (....and quite rough?! lol )

Yes and yes... but it's really only just starting so we're not playing actual games yet - I've only joined to meet more skaters!

rp16v
Gumbie
Gumbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby rp16v » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:19 pm

bristol blader here (y) south bristol side plenty of places to skate an a big comunity in the derby sceen dont have to be in it to get social tho

Razorkira
Lurker
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:12 am

Re: Any Bristol skaters?

Postby Razorkira » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:14 am

hi there, i've recently moved to bristol and i want to pick up an old hobby, hopefully make a few skating buddies. Is there any skaters around bristol?


Return to “General skating”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests