Commercial forum

Didn't get your confirmation email? Let us know here

Moderator: Traffic warden

Cedy
New school
New school

Commercial forum

Postby Cedy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm selling things right now. no responce.
Fair enough my prices must be too high of people don't need them.

But, looking at the forum, it looks like an instructor whore-house, not a jumble sale.
I propose that instructors hold 1 thread each and bump it to announce a new course.

Would that be fair?

lolainlondon
New school
New school

Re: Commercial forum

Postby lolainlondon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Not really. If you are an instructor you may be targeting different audiences for your different courses. If (for example) Asha has a beginners course, backwards course and advanced turns course running in the next month or two then it doesn't make any sense to have everyone trawl through one thread. Also what would you title it?

Wild Phil
New school
New school

Postby Wild Phil » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 pm

could do 2 sub forums. but then its all kinda harder to find...

Bella83
Old school
Old school

Postby Bella83 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Cedy wrote:I'm selling things right now. no responce.
Fair enough my prices must be too high of people don't need them.

And look at the response your getting now you've dropped them

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 am

Yes Bella, that's good to see, thanks. :)
I like the idea of a sub-forum, maybe one per instructor would be nice, so they could still have a thread per course they'd like to advertise.

lolainlondon
New school
New school

Postby lolainlondon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Cedy wrote:Yes Bella, that's good to see, thanks. :)
I like the idea of a sub-forum, maybe one per instructor would be nice, so they could still have a thread per course they'd like to advertise.

But that makes it hard (well more tiresome) to find courses unless you are already a skater. If I want to learn jumps, I'd obviously look in Quentin's thread, but imagine you are new and don't know which courses people offer. To find a course you have to look in each person's thread. That's a pain compared to it just being in the title in the main commercial thread.

I don't think it's a problem. Of the 33 threads currently in commercial, only 8 are actually for skating courses. I don't think that's even remotely disproportionate given that this is a skating forum.

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:09 am

Some time ago we agreed that instructors could have a thread for each course (maybe this needs to be specified in the charter). This still makes the most sense to me. If it was one thread per instructor then they would quickly get filled with crap and advertising new courses that could appear several pages down within a thread and likely go unnoticed. I can't see there would be a problem your thread being visible. It should be highlighted to anyone who hasn't read it (or marked it as read) and it isn't that far from the top on the first page.

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Ok maybe I sound like a grumpy arsehole, sorry about that, not my intention
It looks fine now but there are times when you've got at least half the page taken up by lessons, so I just thought it would be a bit more consistent if you get a fixed amount of entries and it might actually help the instructors to be at the top of the page without having to bump their own threads

gummidge
Traffic Warden
Traffic Warden

Postby gummidge » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Yeah, I found the same when I was trying to sell a property. All these property mags are totally filled up with ads by the professional property sellers making my lone property ad rather hard to find. It is a cruel world where you and I don't get the special treatment we deserve.

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Cedy wrote:Ok maybe I sound like a grumpy arsehole, sorry about that, not my intention
It looks fine now but there are times when you've got at least half the page taken up by lessons, so I just thought it would be a bit more consistent if you get a fixed amount of entries and it might actually help the instructors to be at the top of the page without having to bump their own threads

If you ad ever gets swamped like that I have no problem with the occasional bump.

Cedy
New school
New school

Postby Cedy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:20 pm

No, my ad's fine thanks. I'm talking about the forum in general.
If it isn't a good idea then tell me, I'm just making a suggestion after all.

Naomi
Admin
Admin

Postby Naomi » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 am

I think that as mentioned, the one thread per instructor wouldn't work, but neither would the sub-forum because people don't think 'ooh I quite fancy a lesson from Asha, lets see what she's doing' people only get motivated by walking past a shop window & seeing what there is.

I understand why some people might disapprove of instructors being helped in their active removal of money from the pockets of other skaters, however an important part of the development of any 'sport' is access to learning, instruction & coaching, and that is one of the services which the commercial forum provides, as well as access to more affordable equipment (and of course social community buying & selling too like of spare rooms & DVDs).

So although it may feel like instructors are taking up the commercial forum in the same way that inline skaters take up the skate park, snowboarders take up the piste or skaters take up the roads, it still is for the best of the skating community that the advertising happens.

Bonnie
Gumbie
Gumbie

Postby Bonnie » Sun May 16, 2010 9:34 am

Hi,

I am new here and a novice skater. I think there is not enough feed back as to how good some of the courses are and I think I speak for lots of new skaters that online information on inline skating is rather sporadic and disorganised and one has to trawl through lots of information to get the gems we need or seek insider advice through the grapevine.
If this forum is to be used by instructors then we should consider proper feedback system for students of the various courses too so that it acts as a useful forum and information platform for skaters. OF course with feedback , the general standard of instructors could also be improved or more innovative courses could be started to meet the varying demands.

For e.g. I did not know of this site till a fellow skater mentioned it. I just wondered given the fact that Serpentine is the 'in-place' for slalom skaters and enthusiasts, maybe we could lobby the council for a notice board placed prominently somewhere perhaps near the restaurant, so that newbies could find out the important websites and serve also as advertising board for all skate instructors/people who want to sell their old skates etc? While we are lobbying , I know it maybe impossible due to bomb alerts in London, but do you think it is feasible for us to also ask for self-paying lockers to be installed so that most of us could leave our bags there to enable us to skate freely?

Furthermore, since there are so many of us trying out slalom, any chance of someone going in to spray paint those vital dots on the tarmac? (with or without permission of the authorities?) I am aware that it could be deem as graffiti but currently there are no specific laws against it except laws that control sale of spray paint to minors...and Graffiti Removal Bye-Laws affecting building owners...trying to be cheeky here..but I can't stand chalk on my hands.

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Sun May 16, 2010 3:27 pm

Bonnie wrote:For e.g. I did not know of this site till a fellow skater mentioned it. I just wondered given the fact that Serpentine is the 'in-place' for slalom skaters and enthusiasts, maybe we could lobby the council for a notice board placed prominently somewhere perhaps near the restaurant, so that newbies could find out the important websites and serve also as advertising board for all skate instructors/people who want to sell their old skates etc? While we are lobbying , I know it maybe impossible due to bomb alerts in London, but do you think it is feasible for us to also ask for self-paying lockers to be installed so that most of us could leave our bags there to enable us to skate freely?

Not a chance. You will notice that a lot of the footpaths through Hyde Park have a gravel coating. Up until around 1998 most of them were nice and smooth. But following the death of a cycling where a skater was assumed to be the cause, most of the paths were covered in gravel and the parks authorities barely tollerate skaters. They do not approve of instructors in the park as it's not permitted to run any kind of business in the park other than those licensed.

This forum does not have a formal course feedback facility. People sometimes give feedback in the ads but not very often. The best way to find out which courses and instructors are favoured is to post and ask. You are sure to get lots of replies.

Doron
New school
New school

Postby Doron » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am

It might be a good idea to have a separate skate lessons forum

Steve
Admin
Admin

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:29 pm

No it's not.